18 September 2022

Where to now?

I feel like I'm back where I started. When we left California in 2003, we visited CHM down in the SoCal desert, and then we drove on to Illinois to stay with our friends outside Urbana for a night or two. After that we spent a month in North Carolina, mostly in Morehead but with a side trip to Durham and Duke. Then all of a sudden here we were in France. I wonder when we might start traveling around France again. That would give me more material for blogging. I've been living in the past for quite a while now. As far as new travel goes, the biggest problem to solve is what to do with the poor old cat, Bertie (16 y.o.), when we go on a road trip. The dog can travel with us, but... well, the cat is more difficult.

Anyway, here are a few more photos of the University of Illinois campus, where I spent a lot of time in the 1970s. It is really hard to believe that it was more than 50 years ago when I first arrived there and started that segment of my life, which included five years in France.


I always liked the way cornfields not only surrounded Champaign-Urbana, but also were part of the university campus there. I wonder if they still are.

This building housing the Illini Union Bookstore was built in the mid-1990s.

Here's another view of the U. of I. Foreign Languages building, where I spent five years of my young life.


I just spent half an hour on Google Maps street view touring around the U. of I. campus.
I don't even recognize most of it.


I guess it's time for a trip back to Illinois.

7 comments:

  1. we have had good luck with Trusted Housesitters and it's free! They stay in your house & would have to have their own car (we are in a rural setting & didn't want others using our old cars) Our daughter has also used them. We actually got about 30 applicants. It might be worth checking them out (there is a fee for you to join...if you're interested I can send the link & u can get some $$ off)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find a way to travel a bit even for a short trip. Maybe a neighbor would look in on Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Evelyn said :) As Melinda said, there are house sitters or people who just come by, feed, check on things, and sit for a bit with your pet ... B & D use one for their cat, because they have to travel between two homes every week, so the cat is alone several days at a time. They pay her, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are feeders for cats that only dispense a bit at a time, so you can get away for a few days. That might be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The going rate in my city here is $15/day. The person comes when you are still around to meet the cat, see where everything is and what your instructions are. They change the litter (inside cat!) change the water and put out food. The good ones always talk about spending "friendly" time with the cat - the cat's don't always agree to that in the beginning...but after being alone for a few days are eager for some companionship. I've always tried to find another cat owner so we could exchange vacation duties, but I haven't been lucky. Not even with any neighbors (cat hater, said he would be happy to throw him against the wall for me) and then there is always my concern for nosy neighbors. The professionals do a good job and it is their business. One dear friend bought the automatic water and the food dispensers, but when they returned neither one had done their job. They even had purchased an electric litter cleaner. Never had they seen such a happy cat welcome them home. Not a very good reference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Ken, I'm an alumnus of the University of Illinois. In yesterday's post, Ken showed a photo of the Alma Mater statue that greets visitors to the Champaign-Urbana campus. Another iconic photo of the statue was taken in May 1970 when national guard troops occupied the campus following protests against the war in Vietnam. The troops carried rifles as they stood in front of the statue; behind them could be seen the inscription on the statue: "To thy happy children of the future, those of the past send greetings."

    ReplyDelete
  7. The corn fields are still here, though there's a lot of new UI ag facilities built south of the main campus.

    You're always welcome for another visit.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?