23 May 2021

Domfront landmarks...

...and news on the home front:

  • Bertie is down in the entryway stalking some kind of little rodent that he brought in live half an hour ago.
  • I got a haircut yesterday for the first time in several months. I had it cut very short because who knows when the next opportunity to have it cut will be.
  • We had a loud and rainy thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, but it didn't last long.
  • Walt went to the market yesterday and brought home some strawberries, a bundle of white asparagus spears, a bunch of radishes of various colors and sizes, and a steak to grill for today's lunch.
  • It's almost time for me to go out and walk around in the vineyard with Tasha.
  • The temperature outdoors right now is 7.9ºC (46ºF). That's close to the house where it's warmer than it will be out among the vines.

This is the hotel where we stayed the two times we went to Domfront (May 2005, June 2006).
It's the Hôtel de France and it's part of the Logis (de France) network of independently owned hotels.
It looks like you can get a double room there for between 75 and 100 euros a night these days.

Shops and houses on the Place St-Julien in 2005

La Poste

Le Palais de Justice

La Mairie


Le Monument aux Morts


 

10 comments:

  1. My own hair was cut a month ago, before I needed a Marcel.
    The stone used in Domfront is very dark brown. Do you know if those landmarks were built with stone from the château that has become a quarry?
    The Palais de Justice is very impressive. I wonder if it had been decommissionned a few years ago with the reform of the judicial system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le Palais de Justice deviendra une médiathèque...

      Delete
  2. I am about 16 months since my last haircut, it has never been this long, not even in the 70's. 76 degrees here in the DC burbs this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair was a lot longer in the 1970s than it ever got during this pandemic.

      Delete
  3. I stayed here on my first trip to Normandy, neat hotel https://www.ranconniere.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does look like a nice place. I don't know it, but I've been to Arromanches a couple of times. Once I went into the D-Day museum there. I was inside when a busload of German soldiers in uniform crowded into the museum. It was strange.

      Delete
  4. Lots of activity on your home front. For a town of less than 5,000 souls, Domfront’s municipal buildings are quite impressive. I can picture Place St-Julien filled with cafe tables and chairs and happy people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great place to learn about. Thanks for all of this :)
    I bet you're glad to get your hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Palais de Justice and the Mairie look somewhat Georgian in design and proportion. Attractive buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Palais de Justice has been decommissionned as a court and is going to be now a multimedia library.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?