23 March 2019

Six pix of chix




The house we rented near Le Puy-en-Velay is called un gîte rural — rural accommodation, a vacation rental out in the country. The first definition of gîte in one standard French dictionary is « Endroit où l'on couche, réside, temporairement ou habituellement. » — "Place where one sleeps, resides, either temporarily or habitually." The word gîte derives from the verb gésir, which means "to lie" in the since of "lie down, sleep."





The Le Puy gîte, although just a mile or so from a huge shopping center and a couple of miles from the center of the town, which probably qualifies as a small city, was certainly in a rural environment. The people who own it and rent it out to tourists and vacationers keep chickens. They were fenced in on a big plot of land right outside the gîte.






When I read about the gîte on the internet, I assumed that the owners were a couple and that they lived on the property. They had different last names on the rental contract, but that's not unusual nowadays. They also had four phone numbers — each one listed a land line and a cell phone. That wouldn't be unusual these days either. If both are professionals, it would be easy to explain so many phone numbers.




The thing I read right over in the description of the gîte on the internet was a quick mention that the house being rented was the owners' maison natale. That should have been a big clue, but it didn't dawn on me what it meant right away. On arrival, we learned that the man and woman who greeted us and showed us around the place didn't live on the property at all. They turned out to be brother and sister, each married. The brother lived across the way from the gîte, and not all that close. The sister lived in a different town, several miles away.



Very often, gîte owners do live close by their rental property, either in the same house or building, or in a separate building or house on their land. That was the case when we rented a little house on the coast, in the Vendée, last March. It wasn't a big deal, but you do feel you have less privacy when you see the owner every day, often several times a day. You don't have the impression that you really are chez vous in the gîte.





In Le Puy, the fact that there was a flock of chickens nearby certainly added to the rural atmosphere. Each time we went out the front door, the chickens would come running, clucking wildy because, I imagine, they thought we might intend give them something to eat. We never did. But they gave us something to eat. Freshly laid eggs. The owners set a basket of them on the kitchen table for us. They were delicious.


P.S. You can enlarge the pictures and stare into the chickens' beady little eyes by clicking on the images or "unpinching" them (on a tablet).

14 comments:

  1. Ken, today's post reminded me of pictures we took back in 2010 when we stopped in Mesnières-en-Bray on our way to Rouen.

    I didn't seem to be able to write the html correctly, so I had to delete. Sorry. I'm leaving as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! It worked! Ouf!

      Delete
    2. I do remember that trip and those photos. I went back to the 2010 post and enlarged the images a little, to improve them I hope.

      Delete
    3. You did great. The photos in that July 2010 post are very good. And the rain had stopped!

      Delete
  2. I like the clever title to your post. These chickens are so photogenic, I especially like the brown ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of partial to the black one(s) but I think they all are pretty handsome.

      Delete
  3. They really do have beady little eyes :)
    I don't know that I've ever had really really just laid fresh eggs. Must be a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the eggs were very good, with dark yellow yolks. We brought some back to Saint-Aignan and the week after our return I made an omelet with them. Delicious. I guess I didn't take any photos of it.

      Delete
  4. Fresh eggs are a treat for sure! Was Tasha afraid of the chix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was more curious than afraid. Every time the chickens came to the fence to see us, she ran over there. The chickens ran away from her. But when I was taking pictures of them, one of them came over and pecked on my camera lens with it beak.

      Delete
  5. So, having six chickens free ranging in our yard and needing to put them away each night to protect them from predators, and having lost one to a hawk and one to another beast anyway, I have to ask -- did the owners come over to lock them up each night? Or did they cross their fingers and hope for the best? Also, I can't really tell, but at least one looks like a rooster. Possibly three! How many eggs did you get each day? Chickens are vulnerable to many predators, but they do regard dogs as being their protectors. Many people have border collies to guard their flock. Lovely pictures! I know how hard it is to get them all to be still and facing you in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how many eggs the gîte owners get per day or week. They gave us 10 eggs as a gift when we arrived, and we enjoyed them. I also don't know whether they close the chickens in at night. You're right, there appeared to be several roosters in the flock. Coq au vin? I also don't know if the owners eat the chickens or just the eggs. As for the photos, a lot of luck was involved. Herding chickens or getting them to pose for a picture is a little like herding cats.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?