28 March 2019

Arlempdes et sa pierre noire

Translating a description I found on an Auvergne tourism site in French:

“...People often say that Arlempdes gave the youthful Loire river its first château. However, it is in no way comparable to the magnificent Loire Valley châteaux farther downstream toward the Atlantic ocean.  Here, in the heart of the Massif Central, south central France's high country, the white stone of Touraine seems like a dream. This dark stone, the heritage of long-ago, intense volcanic activity, shapes the lanscapte. Black basalt flows from the approximately 500 extinct volcanoes of Auvergne's Devès range long ago overwhelmed the original white bedrock...”


That dark-colored stone is what was used to build the ancient village church in Arlempdes. The church, known as l’église Saint-Pierre, is older than the château that looms over it.


Again translating: “Typically Romanesque, the church dates back to the 12th century. It was built out of multi-colored volcanic stone (tuff and breccia). The bell tower, built of granite, was added later, as was the lateral granite buttress that props up the older structure... Houses are built up against the church, so you can't walk all the way around it. The beautiful front portal, with its four arches... is typical of the Velay architectural style. Two of the columns that hold up the arches are decorated with different helix patterns....”



The church was closed for the winter when we were in Arlempdes on March 6. The Auvergne tourism site describe the interior as being very plain, which is typical of local churches. Above are a few more exterior photos that I've put together as a slideshow.

13 comments:

  1. What you show of this modest church is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous! How sweet!

      Once again, une entourloupette de Google. I usually write my comments on my ipad, comfortably sitting in my armchair! But because of a persistent Apple entourloupette this time, refusing to memorize my user name and password, I have to use Chrome to post my comments. Now it's Google's turn to ask for user name and password one more time. When was it when everything electronic was easy. Pourquoi faire simple, quand on peut faire compliqué.

      Now, I'll have to mail this comment to my laptop where, so far, there is no problem. Keep your fingers crossed as I do mine!

      I said it before, but I'll say it again, never a dull moment!

      Delete
    2. WTG chm! I am forced to use Chrome also. I like seeing this little church.

      Delete
    3. CHM, first you blame Google for your troubles, and then you blame Apple. Which one is it that doesn't like you? As for your comment, I was 99% sure that the anonymous one was from you. You are a man of contradictions. You are almost militantly anti-religion, and yet you love churches. Va comprendre.

      Delete
    4. Is the alternative to Chrome Safari? People have written to me for years to tell me that Safari doesn't play nice with Google/Blogger. I wish I knew why.

      Delete
    5. No, I stopped using Safari years ago, it was refreshing all the time. As I said before, I use Puffin that you suggested. I like it, but the problem with it is not Puffin's but Apple totally refusing to memorize my user name and password. I tried again and again to no avail! If I want to post a comment with Puffin, I have to use my Facebook user name and password every time; in this case Apple is the culprit. When I use Chrome, it is Google, asking every so often for my user name and password, which have stayed the same for a number of years. So, what's the point!

      I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that religious art and architecture are the only redeeming values of religion. Bigotry, warfare and intolerance are, unfortunately, the daily food of many people all over the world.

      Delete
    6. Yes chm, you aren't the only one. Yes to art, not to oppression.

      Delete
  2. I can't post comments from my ipad, so I use my old laptop. and when I go to your web site the ipad says it's a fake site, trying to steal financial info!? Been reading you on the ipad since new. Can go to Walt's site then back to your site. O well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mysteries of the internet. If I type https://www.ckenb.blogspot.com as the URL for my blog — and it is supposed to be that — I get a long, complicated error message but not my blog. If I type just www.ckenb.blogspot.com, everything works perfectly. I wish I knew why.

      Delete
    2. The exact same thing happens if I type https://www.wcs4.blogspot.com in the address field to get Walt's blog. But if I type http:// without the final s, everything works just fine.

      Delete
    3. If I want to get to your blog, on any browser, I just type ckenb.blogspot.com and I get it every time. I don't even bother to use the www.

      Delete
    4. I do the same thing, or I have shortcuts with that kind of address: http://ckenb.blogspot.com, for example. Those work just fine too.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?