17 March 2019

La Cathédrale Notre-Dame du Puy

Here are two composite images of the cathedral in Le Puy-en-Velay, in central France's Auvergne region. I took them about 10 days ago.


You can see the cathedral in its context in the photos in this recent blog post. I just read on this site (which includes a beautiful panorama of Le Puy) that in the mid-19th century, the cathedral was at risk of falling into ruin. It was not only restored but basically rebuilt later in that century. The work was finished in 1890.


The French-language Michelin Green Guide points out that Le Puy is unusual in France because when you are in the lower part of town ("downtown"), you can't see the cathedral at all. You can see it up close, or you can see it from various high points all around the town, which is located in a fairly deep basin or valley. For tomorrow, I think I'll do another slideshow of some of the details I photographed around the cathedral when we were there.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful Romanesque polychromed stereotomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you D. for the word stereotomy. I knew from my far away ancient Greek classes that tomy meant to cut, but couldn't make out what kind of cutting was involved, not really knowing what stereo meant. Today, I'm richer!

      Delete
    2. chm lol! Decades ago, in my architectural history classes, this is how the professors spoke when referring to buildings like those in the lovely photos above. A glass of wine preceded that comment. ;-)

      Delete
    3. D., I'll drink to that -:)

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures but unfortunately the text is squashed. I keep looking for Puy lentils to cook with carrots and duck fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what's causing that. The text on my screen, when I open the blog post, is not squashed.

      Delete
  3. I've really enjoyed these Puy posts :)
    (Text is not squashed on my computer screen, either.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No text squashing here on Mac, either laptop or ipad.

    Very interesting and very comprehensive links on the cathedral of Puy-en-Velay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI - my safari and chrome squashed. Not on Firefox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking at the blog in Chrome this morning and I don't see any squashed text. What computer or tablet are you viewing the blog on? I'm on Windows and on Android myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at the blog in Safari for Windows. It looks fine. I'm sorry you are having this problem.

      Delete
    2. No text squashing on my Mac laptop using either Safari or Chrome!

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?