30 December 2023

Le Château de Chinon

The author of the Cadogan Loire guidebook writes that the Château de Chinon, from the town below, looks like "little more than a string of beautiful battered towers and fortifications..." He goes on to say that "making the climb up the winding, treacherous paths... offers wonderful views of the town and the Chinonais [the local countryside]."

I think I remember that Walt and I once climbed up to the top of the Tour de l'Horloge, on the right side of the picture. I'm glad we had a chance to go up there. Chinon itself is a beautiful town and it's a famous wine town too. Oh, and Tasha was born there. Chinon is not much more than an hour west of Saint-Aignan by car.

8 comments:

  1. From your (excellent) photo, the chateau looks like a fortress which it really was. Since your photo was taken, restaurations have been made on the logis royal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello CHM. I don't think I've ever seen Chinon, but glad to see it here. Happy NYE eve, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Evelyn! How are you both? I just turned ninety-nine; would you believe that?

      Delete
    2. Hi chm, how are you? Thinking about you and wishing you well. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Great photo. I visited there for four days in 2009 and really enjoyed the chateau and the town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that was me above. So glad I can comment again, thanks Ken!
      BettyAnn

      Delete
  4. I must keep forgetting to hit Publish. Drat! So nice to see your message, CHM! Belated Happy 99th (WOW!!!) and many more birthdays as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn’t post, maybe now. Had a wonderful picnic under those Plane trees along the river. As we lunched saw the local tourist train, and its beautiful 2-8-2 steam locomotive switching the train cars on the iron bridge. We came back several weeks later and rode to Richelieu. Lovely ride, and I wandered down to the baggage car, with souvenirs and a wine bar. With no French, the staffers had no problem giving me a nice tasting of local wines. A couple of years later on the first season of the bachelor, there was a scene with the girls getting into that steam engine’s cab for lesson in coal shoveling. Having worked for the Railroad as a switchman, having a bevy of attractive women in the cab would be something. Alas the train, engine, and rolling stock is gone, the right of way a bicycle path.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?