06 March 2022

Un cassoulet de souris d'agneau



The basic ingredient in a French cassoulet is white beans. They can be lingots blancs — that's what I used — or they can be haricots tarbais, a different variety of white bean which is grown around the city called Tarbes, about 75 miles SW of Toulouse. Le cassoulet is a specialty of SW France, and especially of Toulouse, Castelnaudary, and Carcassonne.

The first step is to soak the dried lingots in a good quantity of cold water. Most recipes call for soaking them overnight. I ended up soaking these for at least 18 hours. They were very tender after they cooked in my slow-cooker (mijoteuse) on high heat for about three hours.

Actually, I've been known to make "fusion" cassoulets using other varieties of beans, including black-eyed peas (cornilles) or giant lima beans (haricots de Soissons). Beans are beans...



An ingredient that's really good in cassoulet is plain pork sausages. These are the ones I used, saucisses de Toulouse. You would especially expect to have them in a Toulouse-style cassoulet, which also includes salt pork, lamb, and duck. These were advertised as being nitrite-free. Before putting them into the cassoulet I sauteed them in some duck fat in a frying pan until they were at least partially cooked. Then they cooked in the cassoulet dish with the beans and other ingredients for 90 minutes in a medium oven.



The reason I ended up soaking the lingot beans for such a long time was that I had planned to cook them overnight in the mijoteuse along with four souris d'agneau (lamb shanks from the back leg of the animal). Then I realized that there wasn't enough room in the cooker for the beans and the lamb. So I cooked the lamb shanks overnight on low in the cooker, and then cooked the beans the next morning. After the lamb was cooked and had cooled, I pulled all the lean meat off the bones and discarded the bones and fat, which had given their flavor.



I cooked the lamb shanks with carrots, celery, onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and spices including black peppercorns, allspice berries, and some hot red pepper flakes. And then I cooked the beans in the lamb broth, adding to the pot a slab of salt-cured pork that's called petit-salé in France. Petit-salé comes with the pork rind (la couenne) still on it, and it contains a lot of gelatin that melts, enriching the cooking liquid.



When the beans were cooked, I decided to chop up the carrots, onions, and celery stalks that had cooked in the mijoteuse with the lamb shanks. That's kind of a rustic way of serving beans. A lot of cooks wouldn't include vegetables like those with beans, but I say why not? Vegetables are good for you, and they add some color to the dish.



I put about a third of the cooked lingot beans in the bottom of a baking dish and then I put  chunks of lamb shank meat in a layer over them. After I took the lean lamb meat off the bones and got rid of the cartilage and fat, I put the meat into a hot oven to brown and dry out for about 20 minutes. It had just simmered in water overnight, so browning it gave it a little extra flavor, I think.



After sauteeing the sausages to pre-cook and brown them slightly, I put a second layer of beans over the lamb and arranged the sausages on top, pressing them down into the beans as much as I could. I also cut up some of the petit-salé that had cooked with the beans and arranged chunks of it around the edges of the dish.



The cassoulet was all assembled at that point, except for two steps: pouring on just enough of the lamb and bean broth to not quite cover the beans and then sprinkling on a good quantity of dried breadcrumbs (called chapelure in France). Then, for good measure, I drizzled some melted duck fat over the crumbs. You could use vegetable oil or melted lard or chicken fat instead of duck fat in this recipe.



And voilà — the assembled cassoulet went into a slow oven for 90 minutes. You want everything very hot when you serve it. A lot of the liquid will be absorbed by the beans. Toward the end of the cooking time, you can turn up the oven to brown the top of the cassoulet.

I don't remember the first time I ever ate cassoulet, but I remember fondly one Walt and I had in 1989. We were in a restaurant in the town of Castelnaudary, which many say is the birthplace of the dish. It was unforgettable.

9 comments:

  1. Just like what happened to Diogenes, my comment was published and, now, it has vanished! Let’s do it again and see what happens. Here is said comment,
    I almost have a taste at each step of the way and it is delicious. The last step is almost overwhelming. I so wish this were true!
    Was it on the same trip that you sent me a postcard from Condom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked the second time. I've only ever been to Condom once, so it had to be that time. 1989, a week or so after the Loma Prieta earthquake.

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful, I have made it once or twice,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing us how to make something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say that I've always heard of it, but never had it, but I have! I just remembered that it was the New Years Eve dish that we were treated to (my au pair family and I) by the Toulouse friends we were visiting for the holiday. Yummy! I'm so glad your birthday meal was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very good! "chapelure" is a good word to add to the vocabulary. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassoulet is good, and to me it's a close relation to New England pork and beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By pork and beans do you mean Boston baked beans? I love those and make them fairly often. When I was growing up down in Morehead City, we ate a lot of pork and beans, out of cans. All this reminds me that an old friend of mine who does genealogy research at the history museum in Morehead tells me that most of the original settlers in that area moved down the coast from Boston starting in the 1700s. They were whalers and fishermen. When I was a student at Duke, after a class where the professor called the roll, a woman student came up to me and said she thought she new my family in Boston. No, I told her, I'm not from New England; I'm from North Carolina. Well, she said, you look enough like the Broadhursts I know in Boston to be a brother or at least a cousin of theirs. I never found out anything more about that family. I've never met anybody named Broadhurst (with the exception of close family members in N.C.)

      Delete
  7. I didn't know about the move-south-from-Boston fishermen, but it makes sense. And they would have brought their pork and beans with them -- homemade definitely superior to canned. Maybe you have undiscovered relatives in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?