10 March 2022

Laon : la cathédrale Notre-Dame (détails)

The Micheline Green Guide for Picardie calls the carved figures of the ancient cathedral church in Laon une majestueuse statuaire. These photos are some I took within the central portal of the cathedral, which represents Le Couronnement de la Vierge. The men you see are the prophets Abraham, Moses, Samuel, David, Isaiah, etc. I have more photos of this 12th/13th stonework (restored in the 19th century) to post tomorrow.

        2

  

 4     

      6

11 comments:

  1. This statuary is magnificent. I’m glad it could be restored. The faces, attitudes and expressions are all different. This variety makes it very strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have thought they were interesting at the time, because I took a lot of pictures. More tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Photo #3 is a masterpiece and an excellent photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the expressions. Why are the people standing on the animals?
    Re: kitchen cabinets. Will September work for you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll still be here in September. The weather is usually nice then.

      Delete
  4. The more I look at it, in some ways, the more this statuary makes me think of the one at Moissac in Southwestern France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sculptures - wonder if they needed restoration after the Revolution?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on how high up they are in the cathedral. Some might have been out of reach.

      Delete
  6. Those faces are wonderful. But I am so bad, I glanced quickly at the third pair, and it looked as if she was holding up something in order to hear better and as if he had a cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it looks like she is doing the old "hold this seashell up to your ear and you can hear the ocean" thing.

      Delete
    2. I had the same thought! At that time, cell phones were round.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?