20 March 2022

Around the Salton Sea in SoCal

One place where Walt and I spent a lot of time in the late 1990s and early 2000s was in the Southern California desert south of Palm Springs and Indio, around the Salton Sea. That's because CHM was spending winters down there. It was only about a 10 hour drive (!) each way from San Francisco, so whenever we could we would go down there and spend a few days decompressing. It was pretty different from life in The City, as you'll see. Here are eight photos that I took in February 2002. Twenty years ago...

        

I'm posting these at a smaller size than usual, but they all can be enlarged.

        

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos. California deserts are among the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to. I once spent a few nights in Death Valley National Park and it was unforgettable, the sunrises especially. From dark to grey, to pink and then yellow before becoming white hot during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desert of SoCal! It’s ten years now that I left my little adobe, my little paradise, photo #7. Salton City!, “known for absoluttely nothing!” I do miss that place for so many reasons. Photo #6 is the view I had from my front porch and my south windows... nothing! Ah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were still there chm! Wonderful shadows and colors in so many of these, drama created by the sun and clouds.

      Delete
  3. Now I see why you would drive ten hours. There's so much sky and mountains- plus the peacefulness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Every one of these elicited a sudden, "Wow!" from me. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?