03 March 2022

Cambrai : dans la cathédrale

I've been able to identify these stained-glass windows thanks to information on this web site. The cathedral in Cambrai was bombarded at the end of World War I and most of its old windows were obliterated.


« Notre-Dame délivre Cambrai assiégé par les Hongrois »
C'est le seul vitrail de la fin du XIXe qui a survécu au bombardement d'automne 1918.
[Atelier Vantillard, vers 1894]


« Arrestation de religieuses sous la Révolution »
[Atelier Louzier, Paris, vers 1933]


« Le baptême de Clovis »
[Atelier Louzier, Paris, vers 1933]


Monument funéraire de Fénelon dans le déambulatoire
[œuvre de David d'Angers, vers 1825-1826].

One of the best-known figures who played a role in Cambrai's history was François de Fénelon (1651-1715). He was the archbishop of Cambrai for the last twenty years of his life. I wrote and published a blog post about Fénelon back in 2011, which iswhen I took the pictures here.

6 comments:

  1. As usual, excellent photos of the cathedral’s stained-glass windows.
    Mr. Ventrillard, the author of the first one, knew how not to fall into the sentimentality (miévrerie) of the Sulpician style and make a beautiful stained-glass window. The other stained-glass windows are interesting.
    David d’Angers is a well known 19th century sculptor.
    Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never known much of anything about Cambrai, so thanks for all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't seem to rid ourselves of war. These windows are quite interesting-especially the arrest of the nuns. I can't imagine wearing that type of headgear.






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn, here is a Sœur de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul as I have known them wearing the cornette. It is made of very light starched stuff.
      I don’t think they wear those anymore.
      https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-sisters-of-saint-vincent-de-paul-advertisement-49978908.html

      Delete
    2. I just got this e-mail from a reader who told me she wasn't able to leave a comment but wanted to tell us this:

      "For some reason I am unable to comment on your blog. But I wanted CHM to know - Those nuns taught me in school. They quit wearing the cornet in 1964."

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?