05 March 2022

Soixante-treize ans, et des haricots

Soixante-treize means 60-13. That comes to seventy-three. French has an idiosyncratic way of handling numbers starting with 70 (soixante-dix, or 60-10 up to 99 (quatre-vingt-dix-neuf). With 71, they throw you a curve ball by sticking an et in the middle: soixante-et-onze; sixty-and-eleven. And then they snatch that et back again with soixante-douze, soixante-treize, soixante-quatorze, soixante-quinze... And don't even talk about pronunciation. First, the X in soixante is pronounced like an S — say [swah-`sãt]. And don't pronounce the T of et in soixante-et-onze [swah-sã-té-`õz]. That little squiggly thing over the A or the O means the vowel is nasalized and the N following it is not pronounced; it just nasalizes the A or the O.

Anyway, today is my 73rd birthday. I'm 60-13 years old as of today. So what am I doing to celebrate? Well, I'm not having a party. And I'm not going to a restaurant. I'm cooking my own birthday lunch. Walt and I will enjoy it en tête à tête ("alone together" — just the two of us). Or is that en tête-à-tête? The authoritative book about French grammar and usage, titled Le Bon Usage, gives nearly a page of explanations and examples of writers who have written it different ways: un dîner en tête à tête or un dîner en tête-à-tête — or just un dîner tête à tête avec un ami for real purists.


So what am I cooking for this momentous occasion? I'm making a cassoulet de souris d'agneau. That's a pot of beans the way they cook them in southwestern France, around the cities of Toulouse, Castelnaudary, and Carcassonne. Each city has it's own style of bean-cooking, actually. The beans are haricots blancs, and you can use either the kind called haricots lingots ("ingots", unfortunately known as "slugs" of metal) or haricots tarbais (grown around the city of Tarbes). The Larousse Gastronomique food and cooking encyclopedia explains that in Castelnaudary, considered by many to be the birthplace of the dish, the cassoulet contains essentially cuts of pork along with an optional piece of confit of goose or duck. In Carcassonne, they put in some mutton or lamb and, in season, some partridge. In Toulouse they go all out, putting in cuts of pork including salt-cured pork belly and the local pork sausages (saucisses de Toulouse) along with some mutton or lamb, plus some confit of goose or duck.


My own cassoulet, with lamb, petit-salé (salt pork), and Toulouse sausages, will be what it is. Cassoulet de Saint-Aignan, I guess you could call it. Overnight, in the mijoteuse (slow-cooker), I've already cooked four souris d'agneau — so-called "lamb mice" because of their shape, which supposedly resembles a mouse's rounded shape. That's a lamb shank to you or me. I'm going to take the lean meat off the bones, maybe brown it a little bit in some duck fat, and then assemble the cassoulet by putting a layer of lamb in on top of a layer of beans, and then another layer of beans on top of the lamb with some sausages and pieces of salt pork pressed into it. I'll top all that with bread crumbs and bake the dish in the oven until it's hot all the way through and browned on top. The "ingot" beans are cooking in the mijoteuse now. More about that tomorrow, probably.

36 comments:

  1. First of all, happy birthday “mon jeune.” You’re just a kid. In fact, I’m old enough to be your father. Many happy returns of this day!
    Sixty and eighty count differently. When they get to nine they keep going to ten, eleven... until nineteen when they are seventy and ninety. Then they are sixty ten, sixty eleven... and eighty ten, eleven...100. I don’t know if I make much sense!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father was born in March 1926... Thanks for the good wishes, "mon pas si vieux que ça". So many good memories.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! I would think written out 73 is easier than doing it in binary. Love the thought of mousey lamb and I would also love the taste. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The "mouse" meat was delicious in the cassoulet.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Ken, enjoy your day. Love Carol & Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent an e-mail but I'm wondering if it went through. Anyway, thanks for the wishes. What a strange time we are living through. Maybe things are getting back to normal. Hope to see you in 2022, once we get the all-clear and the weather improves.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Ken! Best wishes from Perth, Jan & Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, jan and dean. Hope Perth is keeping you happy. Ken

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, wish we were all there to join the party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree and we all could have a taste at the cassoulet de Saint-Aignan. I’m sure it’s going to be delicious!

      Delete
    2. The cassoulet was delicious, and will be so for the next few days. I tend to cook in regimental portions, so we have plenty of leftovers. Very tasty.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, Ken! These good
    wishes come from Alabama. Love, Evelyn and Lewis. Enjoy your cassoulet de Saint-Aignan (good name CHM)
    I remember when you turned 55. It seems like yesterday that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 55. Imagine! That was in 2004. Wish you could have been here to share the cassoulet.

      Delete
  7. Happy B'day....we are the same age, my b'day is in July. We have similar party styles to, haha, home making my own dinner/cake. Have a wild & wonderful soiree!! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melinda. We enjoyed the beans, vegetables, and meats. And a nice bottle of Bordeaux red. A friend wrote and signed off by saying "keep having birthdays!" That's a nice salutation.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday. I love your cooking posts. I'm wondering how petit-sale' is different from our American mass-produced salt pork, which I occasionally still use in dishes like collards. It MUST be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, the pork here is very good, and the salt pork is better than what I remember having in the U.S. Lucky you to have collards. I wish I could grow them these days, but I haven't had much luck recently.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday, Ken! Sending you best wishes for health, happiness,and a many more years of a wonderful and fulfilling life!

    DR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DR. Can you believe it's been 40 or 50 years since we last saw each other. Hope you are happy and healthy. Life is good.

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday, dear Ken!
    Knowing how much you appreciate beans and duck fat flavoring, this is the perfect meal for you to celebrate your soixante-treize ans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. We enjoyed the beans, grease, and meats... Just as well, because we have at least three more meals of it all ahead of us.

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday, Ken, and many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, elgee. Let's all keep having birthdays.

      Delete
  12. Hi Ken, wishing you a very happy birthday! Trouble commenting the last few days - they go into the system but don't show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D. I'm sorry about the commenting problems. I wish I could be of more help. Vanishing comments are a problem I have too. Did you do anything different to get yours above to come through?

      Delete
    2. Nothing different - it just decided to show up this time.

      Delete
  13. 73, or as one could say “29-44”.......Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn (and to Joel too), and thanks for the good wishes. Hope you two are thriving. Luckily, I'm feeling pretty good these days. I'm as happy as God in France, as they say.

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday Ken - from Oregon ... and many more!!!

    With restaurants not a possibility during this time, cooking a meal of one's desires is an excellent choice!
    Nice to know you were pleased with the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a delicious cassoulet was as good as I had hoped it would be. Thanks Mary for the good wishes. Let's all keep on having birthdays.

      Delete
  15. Happy 73rd and long may they continue.... the WHO says we are still Middle Aged until we are 80 now....
    so we can continue as we were 20 years ago [some hope!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how old we can get now. Though I see obituaries in my home town North Carolina newspaper on-line for people who have died at a much younger age than mine now. Thanks Tim.

      Delete
  16. If 60 is the new 40, then 73 must be the new 45. Hope it was a happy day, and the lunch sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the new 50 maybe. I feel as good as I did 20 years ago. Better actually, because I don't have severe pollen allergies the way I did in the SF Bay Area. Yesterday was a happy day, and the cassoulet was a success!

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday, Ken! The meal sounds delicious. You couldn't have better company for your special day!

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that Sean. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?