20 August 2019

Views of "downtown" San Francisco

Several times over the years people here in France have asked me how big a city San Francisco is when they found out I used to live there. When I tell them, they are surprised. "Only 800,000 people?" is the reaction. SF is so well known that people assume it is a lot bigger than it actually is. On the list of the biggest cities in the U.S. by population, SF is only no. 13. And it's not a capital of a state or country; it's basically a provincial city. But it's a spectacularly scenic one... when the sun is shining.
The land area occupied by Paris is 105 km² (just over 40 mi²). The land area covered by SF is 120 km² (47 mi²). So there's not much difference between them, area-wise. But the population of Paris is about 2.2 million. The population density of Paris is nearly 22,000 people per sq. km. Of SF, it's 7,300. So Paris is very crowded by SF standards. The atmosphere is totally different. In SF, 60% of the land is given over to single-family houses. Not in Paris! It's all apartment buildings.
These are again 20 year-old-views of "downtown" San Francisco. I took the photos on Dec. 31, 1998, with my first digital camera. Again, you can see how nice the SF weather can be in wintertime. It basically never snows there, and the temperature very seldom goes down to freezing. That only happened once during the 17 or 18 years that Walt and I lived there. A lot of big outdoor plants were killed. We couldn't get our apartment warmer that 55ºF for several days. No insulation!
These weren't the views we saw from our house in SF. We were on the south slope of the hill I was standing on when I took the photos. I was looking north from the other side of the hill called Diamond Heights, about a kilometer from our house. I was on Beacon Street, not far off Diamond Street,  in an area called Billy Goat Hill. By the way, SF doesn't have much wintertime weather, and it doesn't have much summertime weather here. The temperature basically stays between 5º and 15ºC year-round. That's between 40º and 70ºF. There are very few cold days and very few hot days. We never had air-conditioning in any place we lived out there. But our heat would come on every morning, even in summertime, and even with the thermostat set at just 65ºF. The whoosh of the furnace coming on (it was forced-air heat) in our house on Congo Street served as my alarm clock.

8 comments:

  1. Un voyage dans le passé!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken I think you lived there at a great time. Many new 40-60 story high rises built in the last few years, and most of them residential. It's still a beautiful city. I'm sure you've heard of the now infamous Millenium Tower, condos, which has sunk 17 inches and listed 14 inches to the side since completion:

    https://www.businessinsider.com/millennium-tower-san-francisco-tilting-sinking-timeline-2018-10

    It's hard to find a bad meal in San Francisco, so many good restaurants. You must have enjoyed that aspect as the two of you are such good cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely off topic, on Youtube, I just enjoyed, once again, the 1927 silent movie The General with Buster Keaton. He was such a great artist. Never smiles! If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it. Turn off the sound, it's not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this heads up chm! I will check it out on Youtube. I see they filmed it in Oregon. If you like silent films do check out the 2011 Best Picture winner "The Artist." It's a French(!) movie filmed in Los Angeles, much of it in the Hancock Park neighborhood. A love letter to old Hollywood:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8K9AZcSQJE

      Have a box of tissues ready.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been to SFO since 2013 more's the pity. I used to go for work meetings every other year, and I really miss it. I live in small, dense Boston on the east coast and am always surprised at how big San Francisco seems geographically and such diverse neighborhoods (in layout and appearance, I mean). Maybe the hills contribute to the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People in SF frequently compare their city to Boston: similar size and population, great universities, etc. I haven't (yet?) returned to SF since Walt and I left the area in 2003.

      Delete
  5. I am amazed that San Fran's pop is only 800,000. It rather punches above its weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I learned by reading about it on Wikipedia that Melbourne's area is more that 2,000 km² — nearly 20 times the area of SF, a city whose growth has been limited by history and geography. Of course, the SF Bay Area covers 6,410 km², includes dozens of municipalities, and has a population of about five million.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?