11 August 2019

August skies

I took the photos in this slideshow last Thursday morning, August 8, between 7:15 and 7:31 a.m. I was out on my morning walk in the Renaudière with Tasha the Sheltie. I'm posting the photos in chronological order, and the slideshow lasts less than two minutes.



Our weather has changed radically since the last heat wave broke in late July, when we experienced temperatures in the low 100s in ºF. Until yesterday, we'd been having August temperatures in the in the mid-80s, but today we're not supposed to get much above 70. The weather woman on France 2 TV's Télématin show predicted yesterday that the coming week is going to feel autumnal.

We still need rain, but today, unless we are lucky to get one of the scattered thunder shower in the forecast, it will basically stay dry. Oh well. Autumnal weather will give me a chance to get out in the yard and cut back some invasive plants, including random hazelnut and bay laurel saplings, and especially some thorny blackberry brambles.

8 comments:

  1. Skies sure can chang from one minute to the other.
    Talking about bay laurel, did I tell you that the sapling you gave me several years ago finally took off? I don't know if I'll be able to get to the yard to gather a few leaves, though. Aging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope these photos give a good idea of what a morning walk in the vineyard can be like. In some of them, I was looking east, in others south, north, or west. You told me about the bay laurel. We must have dozens or even scores of them growing in the hedges. I keep cutting them out and harvesting the leaves.

      Delete
  2. Those August skies are truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to try one of those laurel saplings one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's illegal to take or send live plants to the U.S., unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. Wondering if you do anything with the blackberries? Jam or pies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, and so glad your temps have moderated. The shot at about 0:48, with the road curving around the vineyard and houses in the distance, makes me think of Constable.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?