18 August 2023

Taking a heat day

Remember how we used to need to take a "snow day" every once in a while in wintertime? Well, today I'm taking a "heat day." The temperature yesterday was in the upper 80s F and today it's supposed to hit 92 or so. The house is hot again, and here I sit at 5:30 a.m. with all the windows and sliding-glass doors open to let in some cool morning air. It's Saharan air flowing in from the south that's to blame. And that air is picking up moisture as it blows across the Mediterranean, so it's downright muggy here. We're expecting more of the same tomorrow, with a couple of thundershowers in the morning to add some extra humidity to the air.


 Maybe today it would be a good idea to go spend some time in the crypt of the church in Saint-Aignan. During the 2003 heat wave, I remember going to châteaux, which with their thick stone walls, stay cooler than our 1970-vintage house does. The problem was, everyone else had the same idea, so châteaux were crowded. I guess I could go out for a drive in the Citroën with the AC on. I remember doing that in the summer of '03 too.

8 comments:

  1. With your finger, put some water on the tragus of your ear, the evaporation will give you a sense of relief from the heat. Of course, this is only temporary, but worth trying.
    The wall paintings in the crypt are beautiful; too bad some are damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After so many centuries of existence, it would be surprising if the paintings were all pristine.

      Delete
  2. Stay cool, and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the heat (93 today), we are as cool as cucumbers. Of course, the local cucumbers aren't all that cool today.

      Delete
  3. Here in SoCal we are expecting hurricane Hilary. They are predicting 6 - 12 inches of rain. I find that hard to believe , but we are having strange things happening. https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/03/us/california-snow-survey-drought-climate/index.html
    Madonna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching reports about Hurricane Hilary. Good luck to you.

      Delete
  4. This article was a great read! I particularly enjoyed the way you explained the topic in a clear and concise manner. The examples you provided really helped in understanding the concepts better. Looking forward to more insightful posts from you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What blows me away is having such little treasures as the crypt to escape too. I've neglected my blog surfing for awhile. So glad I found my way back.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?