02 August 2023

Cavaillon etc.















In Roman times, Cavaillon was known as Cabellio. One of the few Roman ruins left today is the town's arc de triomphe, on the right. It was probably built here in the year 20 B.C., the Michelin guide says.




Here's a close-up shot of the arch. Cavaillon was one of the biggest towns in Roman Gaul. Nowadays it has a population of about 25 thousand. The French Wikipédia article about the town contains some nice photos, including some panoramic views taken from a nearby hill.




There are as many as 15 water wheels (roues à aubes) on the streams and canals of L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, and there were many more in past centuries. Here's a web page about them. I've searched around to see if anybody else has posted a picture of one mill that I photographed in 2001. I haven't yet found one.






At the gîte we rented for our two weeks in Cavaillon in 2001 there was a big stone barbecue grill. Walt grilled some chicken and some sausages the first night we were there. After that, the Mistral wind blew so hard that we were afraid to light a fire in the grill because all the vegetation around us was so dry. We didn't want to burn the house down.



Inside the gîte, the biggest of the three bedrooms was furnished with these two lits bateau. I thought they were nice-looking and I think I remember that they were very comfortable. I"m not sure what they would be called in English. Not "boat beds" — I've seen translations like "cabin bed", "cabinet bed", and "captain's bed". A friend in Roeun had one in her living room back then.

4 comments:

  1. Back in Los Angeles, we had a large bed similar to the "lit bateau," but its headboard and footboard were more curved. That type is called a "sleigh" bed, but I don't know if there is another American or UK term for the beds with more upright head and footboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've written it, I think I have heard the term sleigh bed. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Yes I think sleigh bed is the correct term, and they were making them from the 19h century up to the 1930s.

      Delete
  2. I missed those arches- drat! They are handsome. The beds are very nice.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?