24 August 2023

Maintenance

What would you have seen me doing yesterday at 8:30 a.m. if you had walked past our house? I was scrubbing the front gate. Every year it gets covered with green gunk on the side that is always in the shade. What is that green stuff anyway? Algae? Mold? Whatever it is, it needs to be kept under control. I wash the gate with soapy water using two or three brushes of different sizes to get into all the gaps and wash the edges of the slats that make up the structure. It's not hard to do except for the bending and squatting to wash the parts closest to the ground. The algae or whatever doesn't grow on the "public" side of the gate, which faces south and is in full sun for most of the day.


When I thought about taking a picture of what I'd accomplished, I noticed how nice the geraniums in the window boxes under our kitchen window looked, so I snapped a photo of those too. By the way, you might notice that I only scrubbed one of the gate panels. By the time I got that one done, the weather started feeling muggy. I promise I will clean the other panel either today or maybe next week. I might just wait until the temperature drops over the weekend. We're expecting highs in the 70s F starting on Saturday.

12 comments:


  1. There certainly is a big difference between the left and the right side. You did a great job!
    I am curious to know what is the white-flowering plant hanging from the kitchen box. A white mandevilla? A white dipladenia? A white volubilis or a regular morning glory?
    The geraniums are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I pushed “publish”, it told me an error occurred and something else I didn’t have time to read. In any case my comment was published! Did that happen to you?

      Delete
    2. I would call that plant, which grew there spontaneously, a morning glory. Or it could be a petunia of some kind.

      I've seen the error you saw, but I don't remember if my comment was posted anyway.

      Delete
    3. That plant I believe is a trailing Petunia! Probably a seed got in there.

      Delete
    4. If it’s a volunteer, then it’s a Morning glory.

      Delete
  2. Maybe, like Tom Sawyer, you could convince Walt that washing the gate is so much fun, he will insist on finishing the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt says he used to scrub the algae off the gate, and then he told me how satisfying the work was and I took it over.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Just saw this! Best laugh of the day!

      Delete
    3. And he's been doing a good job of it ever since. ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow, thaat looks really nice, Ken!
    The geraniums are also a very pretty display :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have lots of shade and mildew that doesn't come off easily. I've always admired that gate. Your geraniums are enjoying the heat, but I know they appreciate the water you give them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is quite a satisfaction one gets when a project like that makes such a difference! Now, for the second half ...!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?