31 August 2023

A hurricane, and a mystery building in my photos

I'm preoccupied with the hurricane that is riding up the east coast of the United States right now, from Florida to North Carolina. Walt has relatives and friends in Florida. He has a brother who lives on the coast of South Carolina. I have a sister, a niece, two grand-nieces, and many cousins and friends on the coast of North Carolina. So the suspense is clouding my mind. I won't know for many more hours how everybody weathered the storm.

Here are some more photos I took from the top of the Tour Saint-Jacques in July 2013. On the left below is a view of the Église Saint-Germain-des-Prés. On the right is a street on the Right Bank, la rue des Halles, not far from where I used to live.





I can't for the life of me think what the brick building on the right is. It's on the Left Bank, and you can see it in one photo above and another below. I've been staring at Google Map screens for nearly two hours now, trying to find the building in question. Maybe somebody reading this will recognize it. It's near the Pont-Neuf.
Okay, I've posted for the day and now I'll focus on the hurricane coverage on CNN.

8 comments:

  1. Did some Google sleuthing with Lens:

    https://www.tourblink.com/paris/monument/carrefourcurie/en/?source=website

    ReplyDelete
  2. H.Peter nailed it! I've always thought this was rather a monstrosity of a building, trying to emulate the early brick and stone buildings in the Place Dauphine and Place des Vosges, but topping it with a clumsy 1930s bas relief. This is a link that speaks about the sculpture at the top: https://www.unjourdeplusaparis.com/en/paris-insolite/a-la-gloire-de-la-seine-monumentale-sculpture-art-deco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiwi. I think about how many times I've walked or driven by that building and never looked up to see the bas relief. I was too busy dealing with car traffic, I guess...

      Delete
  3. Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting story about Carrefour Curie. Thinking about those in the storm's path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything here is fine. We weathered the storm with minimal damage. I slept through it but as I look out all seems fine. Power was lost but only for a few hours. still wind but not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanna is my sister, who lives in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?