11 August 2023

Summertime food — ratatouille

I spent some time going through hundreds of slides yesterday, looking for some pictures of our 1993 trip to Provence. I haven't found any yet, but I have another big box full of slides to inspect today. Meanwhile, yesterday was another ratatouille day. Ratouille is a pot of stewed summer vegetables — tomatoes, zucchini (courgettes), bell peppers (poivrons), eggplant (aubergines) cooked with olive oil, onions, and herbs including thyme, oregano, and bay leaves.

Julia Child, who spent a lot of time in Provence, says of ratatouille it that cooking it "perfumes the kitchen with the essence of Provence and is certainly one of the great Mediterranean dishes." It's good served hot or cold (with a little bit of olive oil drizzled on it).

One thing I did this time that I don't always do was to lightly sauté the peppers, zucchini, and eggplant, all cut into strips or cubes, to give them a little color before putting them into a wok to cook them completely. The color turns into wonderful flavor. I put less liquid in the wok, too, letting the ripe tomatoes from our garden produce enough liquid for the cooking process. Separately, Walt grilled a couple of chicken breasts to complete the meal.

Ratatouille originated in the city of Nice on the Côte d'Azur and is widely served and appreciated in Provence and all of southeastern France. The first time I ever tasted it was at a sidewalk café in Marseille in 1970.

6 comments:

  1. We love ratatouille in this house! Which is just as well as our courgettes and tomatoes are doing so well this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I tasted it was in 1961 at my host family's tiny beach house at Palavas les Flots. Love at first bite! I had never tasted eggplant or garlic. Another first taste memory was spaghetti bolognese on spinach pasta in Verona. Your ratatouille looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recipes are a good way to learn new French words. Add me to the list of those who love ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it too! I was lucky - my Mother made it for us while I was growing up - it was a big hit with my Father and me. I will add it to my repertoire next week.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?