06 July 2023

Vouvant and Mélusine


Coming into Vouvant from the south, this is the view. This is one of the plus beaux villages de France. You see the church looming over the town. As you approach, you first see the chevet of the church.

Above is a detail of the stonework of the chevet.

The two photos just above show part of the lower (12th century) section of the church's north portal.
(Click or tap twice on each half of the image to enlarge to full size.)

One other landmark in Vouvant is a 13th century tower (donjon) known as the Tour Mélusine. Mélusine is a mythical fresh-water sprite or mermaid who was believed in several parts of France to live in certain wells and rivers. The tower is all that remains of a château that people in Vouvant believed had been constructed in the space of one day, or so I've read. By the way, one of our young neighbors is named Mélusine. I wonder if she's been to Vouvant. I'll have to ask her.

6 comments:

  1. Mélusine is generally associated with the powerful Lusignan family as being one of their ancestors. One Lusignan became king of Jerusalem. Lot of noise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first learned about Mélusine back in the 1960s when I was studying French literature in college.

      Delete
    2. There’s another fairy akin to Mélusine, it is La Vouivre. There is a very good book with that title by Marcel Aymé. I can recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know of Mélusine!
    I love that decorative iron strapping on the door... just absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those plus beau villages- this one is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It lives up to its billing as a plus beaux villages de France.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?