26 July 2023

Lourmarin et au-delà

The picture above shows a Citroën 2CV parked in the village of Lourmarin (pop. 1,000), which is just north of Lauris.

The picture on the left just above shows a café in the center of Lourmarin. We sat down there on Sept. 11, 2001, and had a coffee and a pastry. It was very pleasant. The photo above right is a view of Lourmarin taken from outside the village.

The two photos above are places 10 and 20 miles north of Lourmarin. On the left is another shot of the village perché called Gordes. On the right is the main place (square) in the village of Venasque.

Between Bonnieux and Lourmarin to the south and Gordes to the north, there's a Roman bridge called the pont Julien. They say it was built a few years before the birth of Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. I remember le pont Julien (they should have called it le pont Jésus!), whether because you gave the photo to me or you already used it in a blog. Did you have a blog at the time you took that photo of Pont Julien?
    I think my 2CV was an earlier model than this one, since I inherited it from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that car! I remember riding it those in '61- that was my first experience with small european cars.Just seeing Cafe Gaby makes me homesick for France.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was sitting in that cafe right now having an iced coffee. That 2CV is great looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping we went over that Pont Julien on our way to Gordes. I only wish at the time I knew of it's history!
    Thanks, Ken, for the link for the tourist office for Lauris!!! I now want to visit that garden that has 250 plants that were/are used in making inks, dyes and all things necessary in colors! Sounds like a quaint village that is not overrun with tourists! Great find! Merci!!! One of many interesting sites that I will follow up on.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?