27 July 2023

Roussillon, un village « ocrement » beau

Roussillon (pop. 1,290) is a picturesque Luberon (Provence) village because the soil and rock it is built in contains a lot of ocher (ocre in French). Ochre is what we call red clay in English, I think. many of the houses in Roussillon are finished with a render (un enduit) that is reddish brown or yellow.

Here's a link to a short video about the village. It's really beautiful on fine sunny days, which are the rule rather than the exception in Provence.

The only village in the area that gets more tourists than Roussillon is Gordes. I've been there in June as well as in September, and it was not overly crowded either time. Roussillon is only 10 miles from Lourmarin, just five from Bonnieux, and only four from Gordes.


The surrounding countryside looks like this. Click here for more photos.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that cliff photo is stunning! One of these days my husband and I must visit these lovely towns, all part of the Peter Mayle mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had red clay soil in Anniston. When we first moved there my daughter said, "look at the pizza dirt." I'm really enjoying your Provence photos.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red-orange hills and pines remind me of northern Arizona. The towns look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I've been to Roussillon! It was a nice trip... we also went to Sète. I enjoyed dipping my feet into the mer Méditérranée :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Roussillon, not to be confused with the old province of the same name next to the Spanish border!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea where the glaucous vase (and plate) on the top shelf on photo #4 are from?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?