29 July 2023

Maussane-les-Alpilles

Maussane-les-Alpilles is a little town just south of Les Baux, which you probably know about or have visited. I had been to Les Baux a few times but had never been to Maussane. At the time I knew ("virtually", meaning on the internet) a woman and her husband who had bought a house there and renovated it. She said it was a beautiful area, and I wanted to see it. By car it's just 30 minutes south of Cavaillon, where our Sept. 2001gîte was. It's also 30 minutes from Avignon, and an hour southwest of Gordes.


Maussane turned out to be a pretty little town, with a big town square and a fountain. It was lively and pleasant the day we were there.

Notice the prices on the chalkboard menu of a restaurant on Maussane's town square. They might look pretty steep, but they are not in euros but French francs. The euro hadn't yet become the French national currency. A U.S. dollar was worth about 7 francs at the time, so you could enjoy that filet de taureau (filet of bull) with purée de potiron (pumpkin purée) on the menu for about twelve dollars.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful beautiful village, I love the fountains. Pats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have the photo of the menu in my kitchen. A friend of mine ate there once. Maussane is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is charming... having that lovely town center, with an attractive fountain, really does it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely square and fountain! Sur le menu, les fautes d’orthographe sont par dessus le marché!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That swan fountain is wonderful! I was shocked at first when I saw the menu, lol. Then I realized….

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of the town square seems right out of the descriptions from Pagnol to me!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?