04 July 2023

En Bourgogne

In 2014, Walt and I went to Burgundy for four or five days. We drove from Saint-Aignan, and it took about 4 hours. On the way, we drove past the hilltop town of Vézelay. The weather was stormy and the light was strange. We didn't stop, because we had been there a couple of times a few years earlier.

Our destination for a little walk-around was the town of Avallon, which we had never seen before. Here are a couple pictures of one of the churches there, St-Lazare. We had the dog with us so we didn't go inside. The photo above has two people in it, for scale.


Near the church I noticed a fine show being put on by some vigne vierge.

4 comments:

  1. The vigne vierge is so pretty on that wall. You won't see any walls or gates like that where we grew up. This photo reminds me of my first visit to Montpellier where there were many walls like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful vine and gate. Huge church.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That glorious red makes me think of crisp fall days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fun to see this today! Avallon was the town where my French au pair family had their country house (and I imagine that I commented about that the first time you showed this town, probably after your 2014 trip).
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?