28 July 2023

Sault, Ventoux, et les gorges de la Nesque

A 30 or 40 minute drive north from either Gordes or Roussillon is a village called Sault. The village, pop. 1356, is just east of the Mont Ventoux, which rises to an elevation of 1,910 meters (6,266.40 ft.) — about the same height as the tallest mountain in the U.S. east of the Mississippi, Mount Mitchell in North Carolina. On the way there one day in Sept. 2001 we drove through the gorges de la Nesque, where the views are spectacular.

Sault, pronounced [soh] is in an area where a lot of lavender is grown and a lot of honey is made.

On the left, that's the Mont Ventoux in the background. That's not snow at the summit, but limestone rock and stones. It does snow up there in winter, but from a distance the mountain looks snow-covered all year.

There's Walt on the right taking pictures of the gorgeous views out over the gorge. The short tunnels carved into the rock are impressive.

9 comments:

  1. I have been around Mt. Ventoux but never close. Ironically, I have been closer to Mt. Mitchell than Mt. Ventoux!
    Never heard of the Gorges de la Nesque! Otherwise, I would have made a point of going there when I was in the area.
    Your beautiful photos show how clear the air is at that elevation, and in Provence.
    I guess these are cyclists training for the ascension of Mt. Ventoux in the T de F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt and I drove up to the top of Ventoux in 1993. One of the highlights of that day was an encounter with a goat herder and his flock. The 30 or 40 goats smelled to high heaven — just like goat cheese. It was a memorable experience. I've never seen Mt. Mitchell myself, at least not up close.

      Delete
  2. Hey, you were down our way! We’re pretty familiar with the countryside, spectacular, around Mont Ventoux. Have you ever visited the Vercors? I’ll wait for future posts. If you’re ever around here again, you’re welcome to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, I spent six weeks in Grenoble way back in 1974, but I was working and didn't see much of the region. I'll get in touch if I get a chance to come down that way again. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I loved visiting Sault and now I know how to pronounce it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there in June of '98 I believe so we saw the lavender. We were traveling with friends who were in Provence their first time. We also went to Montpellier during a WC game in the stadium there. A big screen tv was set up outside which was new to me at that time.

      Delete
  4. Back in 2011, pictures show June 11, rented a bike from Bedoin, and after several days riding from our gite in Vaison, dove back to Bedoin, and I did the ride up to Mt. Ventoux, had some doubts after the cafe, but pressed on and made it. Wow. Wished I ridden down to Sault, I hear that’s a beautiful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ventoux is a major feature of the Tour de France, but a lot of other cyclists ride up there and back town too. I'm sure the way up is not an easy ride.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?