15 July 2023

Niort landmarks


Above left, the former hôtel de ville de Niort, built during the French Renaissance (16th century). It's an art museum these days. A new hôtel de ville was built at the end of the 19th century. Above right, l'église Saint-André, built in the 19th century on the site of an earlier church.

Les halles de Niort (the town's central market) occupies a building that dates back to 1869. It replaced two older market halls, including one from the 13th century that was reputedly the largest market in France at the time. Today's market hall faces the donjon de Niort (see yesterday's post) across the place with the same name (la place du Donjon).


Another 19th century church is the église Saint-Étienne-du-Port. The first church on this site was demolished during the French Revolution. I haven't been about to find much information about the older church. The church's belfry rises to a height of 42.5 meters (140 ft.).

4 comments:

  1. I am really surprised at the qualité (and sobriety, if that word. can apply to architecture) of these two 19th century churches. No new and improved features, thank Dog!
    The spires of Saint-André makes me think of Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe or the cathedral at Coutances in Normandy.
    Equally, Saint-Étienne-du-Port has simple lines and no improved fioritures.
    Again, this is very unusual. They’re quite different and I like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying Niort. I love seeing les Halles which invoke nostalgia for the one long gone in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a church like St Etienne. The market hall is very large, would love to visit it.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that Saint-Etienne-du-Port is very different looking from the medieval and Renaissance styles we're used to seeing.
    I'm thinking that Niort was the town name shown in one scene (road side directions sign) in that old movie with Simone Signoret and Véra Clouzot, Les Diaboliques.... I think that's where I first saw the name.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?