30 June 2023

Bellegarde, dans le Loiret

Le château de Bellegarde is 25 miles northeast of Orléans on the route I used to take when I was still driving to Paris. I don't drive to Paris any more, because I don't trust myself to drive in Paris traffic. It's easier to take the train, and less expensive when you consider the cost of fuel for the car and the cost of parking in the city. Bellegarde, the town, is about two hours northeast of Saint-Aignan and about two hours south the center of Paris (depending on traffic).

The brick-and-stone château de Bellegarde was built starting in the 14th century, and I've read that it stands on even earlier foundations. It was modified and enlarged over the centuries, until about the time of the French Revolution.


It was always nice to get out of the car and take a walk around Bellegarde on those driving days. I haven't found any information about who owns the château, but on one site I just read that it's open to the public sur rendez-vous. Call ahead. I've never been inside. I've just walked around the château outside, to take pictures and stretch my legs.

I've posted a lot of photos of Bellegarde over the years.

3 comments:

  1. The general style of this one, reminds me of the château in Escape to the Château... have you seen that show? A British couple bought a French château in great (great) need of renovation, and the show followed them bringing it back to life, so they could use it as a wedding venue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that show. It's so much fun to watch. And this place definitely reminds me of the chateau in that program. I'd love to see the interior of this one and I like the red color on the exterior.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?