01 June 2023

Anniversaries

Today is the 40th anniversary of the day Walt and I consider to be the beginning of our life as a couple. We moved into an apartment together on Capitol Hill in Washington CD on June 1, 1983. We had returned to the U.S. from Paris, where we met each other in 1981, a year earlier. And tomorrow will be the 20th anniversary our move to France in 2003. In the meantime, we had left Washington and moved to California in 1986. We bought a house in San Francisco in 1995. Thanks to that house, which we sold for a nice profit in 2003, we felt like we could afford to retire from the work world, buy a house in the Loire Valley a couple of hours south of Paris, and move here for good.


I was out in the yard this morning at six o'clock taking pictures of plants and flowers growing out there right now. I wonder if anybody saw me. If so, I'm sure they wondered what in the world I was up to. The blue bell flowers and pink roses above were growing here when we moved in. The blue geraniums on the right are some that Walt planted out there about five years ago. The hens and chicks below were given to us by a friend named Gisèle who we met a month after coming to live here. She passed away last October. The cactus and the elephant bush on the right below are descendants of plants CHM brought me from California in 2004.

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations and much love from across the Globe, Mike & Gustav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back atcha. Hope you are both doing well.

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversaries. Meeting each other and moving to France are certainly two key events in both your lives. How lucky you are that both of you felt the same way about that important move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would have fallen in love with somebody who didn't love France and the French language the way I do.

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary to you both! The best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how fast 40 years can pass when you're living a good life.

      Delete
  4. Jan from Perth01 June, 2023 10:11

    Congratulations guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you found one another and got to follow your dreams. Happy Anniversary to you both!
    Evelyn and Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, 40 years and counting. I think there's a chance this relationship could take.

    Congrats to you and Walt and also for the past 20 years living in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your 50th is coming up soon, isn't it? I remember the wedding well.

      Delete
    2. We celebrated our 45th anniversary yesterday (June 3, 1978) at our daughter's in Burlington, VT, preceded by a short trip to Quebec City and a lovely stay in the Chateau Frontenac. So much history there that we US citizens are woefully unaware of. I remember your presence at our Connecticut wedding well. Sadly, several present that day are no longer with us: Wilga, Bob J, Randy B, Joan S., and others. It was great that Harriett was able to be with us, too, along with my sister Jan.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your Anniversary. I love you both. You are the best brother I could ever have had. I hope for many more anniversaries for you and Walt. I Love You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you too, Joanna. We had a good anniversary day.

      Delete
  8. And they said it wouldn’t last! :) Congratulations and big hugs to you both coming from Florida.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where you want to live, where you like to vacation, and what you like to eat... those are big issues in a relationship. Happy anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We had both spent enough time in France to know we'd like living here again. And we were exhausted after commuting and working in California for 15 years.

      Delete
  10. So happy for your 40 years. And I didn't know there were blue geraniums. Don't think I've ever seen them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're called Rozanne geraniums and are perenials.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on your Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?