27 April 2022

Reims : vitraux de Chagall

Much of the stained glass in the cathedral at Reims dates back only to the years between 1930 and the present. That's because about half of the older windows in the cathedral were destroyed during World War I, when the building's wooden roof structure was destroyed by fire (as was the roof at Notre-Dame de Paris in 2019). The roof at Reims had already burned once before, in the 15th century. After WWI, a concrete roof structure replaced the wooden beams that had burned.





The Russian-born artist Marc Chagall created a series of windows for the cathédrale de Reims
in the 1960s and 1970s. Four of them are in my photos above. The second and third images
are closer views of sections of the triptych above.

8 comments:

  1. For some reason, I can only comment anonymously today, despite being signed into Google. Just wanted to say that these photos are a delightful surprise. I did not know that Chagall designed the current stained glass at Reims. Wonderful to see all this detail. Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the comment space: It just has a different appearance. It's a big white box, and the options come up differently. It just has a different look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving seeing these photos! I had no idea there were Chagall windows in this cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc Chagall put so much fantasy in his designs and those colors he is famous for contribute to the overall affect that really identifies his artwork for me! Loving seeing these vitraux up close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've begin reading a new book on Russian emigrés in Paris in the 1920s, "After the Romanovs". Chagall, and many others. Interesting for the context and background on the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the petite recap Emm! I am inbetween books this sounds just "up my alley"!

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?