12 April 2022

Et maintenant... que vais-je faire ?

I've been posting to this blog since the autumn of 2005. That's 17 years of posts. I've never really been stumped when it came to finding topics to post about. Now I'm stumped.

I've never had a job that lasted as long as Living the Life has lasted. I worked as a teacher for 11 years, between 1971 and 1982, when I was a lot younger than I am now. I taught French at the University of Illinois. I taught English in France — in Rouen, Paris, and Metz. In 1982 I decided that I was not going to continue my teaching career. I left Paris behind and moved to Washington DC. I almost decided to go to Chicago, because I knew so many people there after spending five years in Champaign-Urbana. At the last minute, I dropped that idea, thinking DC might be a place where I could use my French. It was also much closer to home, which was North Carolina, just a six or seven hour drive away.

I ended up being hired by CHM as his assistant on the editorial staff of a magazine published in English and French editions by the U.S. government for people in Africa. Two years later, the management of the agency,  the U.S. Information Agency, decided to transfer the editorial work on the French edition to Paris. The magazine was badly behind schedule, and management thought it would be easier to find competent free-lance translators in Paris than it was in DC. I was taken in by the agency's press service, which was looking for a writer/editor/reporter. They took a chance on me because I was already employed by the agency and had a security clearance. I was successful in that job, but I only stayed for two years.

Walt and I had met in Paris, and we both ended up living in Washington. We rented an apartment together on Capitol Hill in June 1983. Walt worked for a prominent member of the U.S. Congress who represented a district in southern California. He encouraged Walt to move to California and continue his university studies there. He helped make that happen. If Walt was going to California, I thought to myself, I was going too. My boss at USIA was pretty shocked when I resigned my job in September 1986 and headed west.

I didn't know what I'd do in California. Walt enrolled at San Francisco City College to complete some prerequisites that would make him qualify, he hoped, for admission to the University of California at Berkeley. Because of my work in Washington on the French-language magazine, a San Francisco company that published trade and technical magazines hired me to be managing editor of a computer magazine. I knew nothing about the computer software that the magazine published articles about, but I knew something about magazine work. The company used the same publishing system and computers that we had used at USIA, so I could hit the ground running.

I stayed there for less than three years. Walt got into Berkeley, and we wanted to stay in the city. The magazine job wasn't well paid, and it was a real grind. The editor of the computer magazine had let the magazine fall nearly six months behind schedule. Advertisers and authors were complaining. We had to put out issues on a three-week production schedule for quite a while to try to make up for lost time. The editor of the magazine lost interest and quit his job. I became executive editor, and the former assistant editor became the new editor. Still, the job was a grind, and the subject matter was not really interesting to me.

In 1989 an opportunity presented itself. My old friend Cheryl, with whom I had worked in Illinois and Paris, was working for a software company in Silicon Valley, about 50 miles south of San Francisco. She had introduced me to the manager of the documentation department at the company she worked for. They were friends and the documentation manager was looking for an editor. Cheryl knew I wasn't happy in my magazine job. It's now or never, she said to me. Send me your resume. I did. The documentation manager quickly arranged for an interview, and I passed muster. Then there was a second round of interviews that took place on the Tuesday afternoon in 1989 when the Loma Prieta earthquake struck the San Francisco area, causing major damage and quite a few deaths.

That night I drove home to San Francisco. We had no electricity or phone service for several days. I hoped that I would get the documentation job in Silicon Valley, but all I could do was wait for things to get back to normal. I was scheduled to fly to Paris on a work-related trip in just two day's time when the phone finally rang. It was the hiring manager in Silicon Valley, offering me the job. I accepted. The building occupied by the magazine publisher in SF had sustained considerable earthquake damage. Only on the day before I was supposed to fly to Paris did we employees get a message saying that we would be allowed to enter the building, but at our own risk! And the airport re-opened. I went downtown to talk to my boss and tell him I had decided to resign my job as executive editor of the magazine and take a job with a Silicon Valley software company. And the next day I flew to France. Walt flew over to meet me and we spent a long weekend in Paris when my work obligations were taken care of. I was 40 years old.

So began a ten-year career in Silicon Valley. The first software company I worked for soon started going downhill. The manager who had hired me there resigned and took a position with Apple Computer's Claris software subsidiary. She promptly hired me and several other people who had been working for the first company. Together we set up a new Claris documentation department for Apple. I stayed there for six years — to the day.  Claris started going downhill too, and in 1998 Apple laid off more than half of the Claris staff, including me, on the very same January day when I had started work there in 1992.

And so it went. I took a year off and spent a couple of months in Paris and Rouen. I drove my car from California to North Carolina and back to see family and friends. At the end of that year, I found a job as an writer/editor with yet another software company. And 18 months later I left there to take an editing position with a software startup where friends of mine were working. That company was bought out by another company, and I continued working there until 2002, when I quit to take an early retirement. Walt and I had bought house in San Francisco in 1995. He was doing well in his job with the city of San Francisco, but we both were suffering from burnout. We sold the house, made a good profit, and moved to Saint-Aignan.

That was 19 years ago. As I started all this by saying, I never had a job that lasted as long as this blog. I am my own boss. But now I'm stumped. What will I do next? Continue? Go back into retirement? Move out of this house for one that's better suited to our current needs? Stay in Saint-Aignan or go elsewhere? This is what I'm thinking about these days.

22 comments:

  1. That was an interesting potpourri of your adult life. My opinion of course, but I think you need to future proof yourselves for your older years, in whatever manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what "future proof" means. Move into a house or apartment with an elevator but no stairs.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I don't anything is future proof anyway. Look at what's happening in Ukraine.

      Delete
  2. Please keep blogging, fewer stairs would be helpful as we age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Agree about the stairs, especially since we don't know if the dog is ever going to be able to go up and down the steep stairs to the loft. We're not going to be able to carry her forever.

      Delete
  3. Well, that’s a lot to think about!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skipped over the years when I worked on the U. of Illinois year abroad program and then the Alma College study in Paris program. Those were part of my teaching years. I also taught French classes at San Francisco City College for 3 or 4 years, 30 years ago.

      Delete
  4. Consider a stair-elevator, see:
    https://www.triwatrapliften.nl/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/traplift-leeuwarden-scaled.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe just change it up a bit. Give yourself a break. Don’t stop blogging completely, but give yourself some time off. Write every other day instead of every day. Maybe that will reinvigorate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sensible advice, Lynn. Why can't I just do it?

      Delete
    2. I thought of a stairlift, too, as we had one installed for Norma's mother for her visits chez nous. It was removed when she passed about 5 years ago, and we gave it to a family where the wife's mother who lived with them had advanced arthritis.

      In any event, I'm in awe of your commitment to blogging over these many years. If you feel it's time for a major change, so be it. Or, you may want to take an X months long hiatus and then re-assess how you feel. I'm confident your faithful readers will respect whatever decision you make.

      BTW, I enjoyed your biographical overview in today's blog. I just remembered having dinner, I think, with you and Jim W. at our friend Claude's apartment sometime in the 70s. Do you have any memory of that?

      Delete
    3. Bob, I don't remember ever being at Claude's apartment, which was near the Gare du Nord, n'est-ce pas? Or la Gare de l'Est? I think there was a plan for you, Jim, and me to get together there one summer day in the mid-1970s, but something happened that prevented me from getting there. Since we didn't have cell phones (or even land lines), I wasn't able to contact you.

      One Paris event I do remember is a dinner at a restaurant on, if I remember clearly, la rue des Boulangers in the 5th. Was Jim there too? And who else? Juanita H.? I've walked by there many times over the years, and I always think about that dinner.

      Delete
  6. Ken, Part of the problem with writing your blog is the lack of fresh material. You and Walt have not been, in effect, out of the house and on vacation for years. You have exhausted the available information on food and also of images from past activities. Basically, you are bored with the blog. Also you are reaching the age when residing in a small village (really a hamlet) does not meet your living needs. Last year we moved from a large house into a retirement complex apartment - it was a wise decision. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking... when we are still trying to avoid the new variation of COVID - thinking takes up a lot of my time, as well. Stairs are also a major problem here: 19 steps from my carport down to my front door. Then I live in a tri-level so I have 7 steps up to the living/dining/kitchen or 7 steps down to two bedrooms. Lots of stairs. No problems yet, but when I broke my wrist it became obvious this house would not be a forever home.

    Maybe a few leisurely day trips within a short radius of your home would be interesting to explore? Surely there are areas you haven't been to yet... I know your conundrum. I haven't been anywhere outside the local area for quite some time and I am anxious to explore again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote you a comment saying basically that all you say applies to us too. That comment just vanished, but it was probably too long anyway. I don't know if Tasha will ever be able to go up and down the stairs to the loft again, and Walt can't continue to carry her up and down twice a day. It's a dilemma. We need to give it a few more weeks or months to see if she gets more of former mobility back.

      Delete
  8. Your life has been interesting and you are living your dream, but there's been covid and the problem with Tasha. You are planning your garden again, but maybe you will want to look around for a place to live without so many steps. Your house will probably sell easily- it would make a great air bnb for someone. Lewis and I moved four years ago from a rural to urban setting. We don't regret our decision. I've made lots of new friends who are my age. I really enjoy hearing about their lives and they don't mind talking about our common problems of aging. Perhaps there are retirement villages in France? Your mother enjoyed her place so much. These are just random thoughts. If you start looking around for a new place, take some photos for us. This blog is such a wonderful place for your readers and helpful for people to learn about France, plus so many recipes! Take care. (Had to rewrite this since I typed my first response on Safari and lost it. Firefox works easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so frustrating when a comment just vanishes. My friend Chris (chrissoup) told me in an e-mail a day or two ago that she hasn't been able to comment on the blog for months now. I don't know if she uses Safari but I'm pretty sure she's on a Mac. I wish I could tell her how to fix the problem. She and her husband both had long and successful in the computer industry, but can't figure out what the problem is. As for you two, I think you made a really good decision to move to a bigger city, and I'm sure your house is beautiful and comfortable. Maybe I'll get to visit one day. Here, new houses are being built all over the place, and older ones seem to be selling for good prices. I remember how therapeutic it was to move out of our house in San Francisco, and we only lived there for 8 years. We got rid of so much stuff that we really didn't need. Now we've been here for 19 years, and the accumulation of "stuff" is overwhelming. We're hoping for a nice summer (after a lousy one last year) with weather that will give us an opportunity to haul things outdoors, sort through them, and get rid of as much as we can. When I think that I have six desktop computers — two full-size ones, three mini-PCs, and a laptop. Just an example. If I start looking for a new place, I certainly will take photos.

      Delete
  9. I think we're all suffering from a kind of cabin fever. No one's been able to go much of anywhere for two, going into three years now, without worrying about deadly consequences. We're all housebound and grumpy. Also bored.
    Try changing your blogging schedule for a bit. Write every other day. Or write a journal, with pen and paper. Maybe you'll write a novel. Write down what you do and don't like, look for patterns over time -- they'll show up, help give you a sense of direction.
    Look into other possible living places, where you could still have a garden but fewer stairs, less lawn to mow ( :-) you're welcome, Walt), potentially more neighbors to visit with. I'm not fond of the idea of retirement villages per se -- my father called them "minimum security prisons" -- and after living in a place with a homeowners' association, never again. But there's likely some kind of good middle ground out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not organized enough to write a novel. And since I injured my ring finger on my right hand a few years ago, writing by hand is not really possible. But those are details. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. Maybe as the weather improves (raining again today) I'll start taking a few day trips that I've been thinking about a long time. One problem we have with moving is that Callie is a very barky dog. She emits a shrill screech when she gets excited, and she's excited most of the time. Neighbors within earshot would hate her. Living in an apartment with her is out of the question. As Evelyn mentioned, my mother loved her retirement village. She was independent, surrounded by people she liked and found interesting, had her car and kitchen, etc. But I'm not ready for that yet. I can see living in a one-story house not too close to neighbors. I'm not sure how easy that kind of house would be to find.

      Delete
  10. I can understand your fatigue but I for one would love for you to continue blogging in some form.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I don't think I'm capable of stopping. Blogging is my life now. Or my work at least. I might stop if we decide to sell this house and move into one more suitable to current and future conditions and realities. Old age. Health issues. The dog's long-term recovery. All the best to you, Ken

      Delete
  11. Continuez à bloguer s'il vous plaît !
    Aménager son lieu de vie quand on vieillit est plus que nécessaire... Nous avons vendu notre maison près de Sancerre pour vivre à plein temps à Paris dans un appartement optimisé pour nous... mais j'aimerais me rapprocher de ma fille qui vit à Nantes... Tours me semble une ville bien agréable... et vous y avez quelques habitudes je crois... Bonne chance dans vos recherches.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?