25 April 2022

Reims : statuary and scale

A few weeks ago I was already planning to post some of the pictures that I took in Reims (Champagne) in 2011, but I had sort of burned out on church pictures. I'm glad to come back to them now, because they are better than I had thought they were. La cathédrale Notre-Dame de Reims is known for its elaborate statuary. Here are some examples.

    
There are more than 2300 statues on the west front of the cathedral.
They were sculpted between the years 1250 and 1275.

    
The bell towers of Reims cathdral are taller, at 81.5 meters,
than the towers of Notre-Dame de Paris (69 meters).

    
In the photos of the west front here, the people in front of the building
give you a sense of its scale.

8 comments:

  1. Whoa, the comment space has changed!
    I just added a link to this post, for my Cathedrals page for school :) Merci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How has the comment space changed? I installed a new version of Firefix. Not happy with it yet.

      Delete
  2. Glad you came back to these fine photos. We were Reims once, but there was so much to take in at once. I don't think I fully appreciated the statuary then. Your photos are quite good. So glad Macron won.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allez-y - au MACRON!!! Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful cathedral. The statuary is incredible - looks larger than life size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That whooshing sound you heard yesterday was the worldwide sigh of relief at the French election results.
    In the last picture, that angel looks very happy, as if fist-pumping and saying, "Yeah!!" Or perhaps, "Oui!!"

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?