09 April 2022

5:00 a.m. in the greenhouse

Despite our alternately freezing cold and then really stormy weather, we are preparing for the coming growing season. Here are some photos I took about an hour ago in the little lean-to greenhouse we have over the back door of the house.

    
I'm attempting once more to successfully grow a good crop of collard greens. All too often cabbage butterfly caterpillars, slugs, and snails eat my seedlings, so this time I'm keeping them in the greenhouse. They're growing. So are the tomato, green bean, basil, and zucchiini seedlings that Walt has growing. We won't plant most of these outdoors before May 15.


    
Parsley grows "willd" in the greenhouse. We don't have much success growing it, so it just takes care of itself. Last year's plant was nearly shoulder high by September. And I took a cutting from a neighborhood rosemary plant and got it rooted and growing back before Christmas. It will go outdoors in a month or so.

    
Finally, here's wider view of the plants in the greenhouse. Some are house plants and some are garden plants. Also, here's my my latest rock collection. I gather interesting looking rocks on my walks with Tasha in the vineyard. I have some only vaguely formulated plans to start a little rock garden in the yard.

Yesterday's storm was not as violent as had been predicted. We had gusty winds for much of the day, but not the 100 kph winds that were forecast. We had quite a bit of rain too, but the roof didn't leak!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Since we changed the clocks the other week, I'm getting up at 5 rather than 4.

      Delete
  2. That's all good news! And, it's great (for all of us) to see the seedlings growing! Summer garden, we're on our way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have something positive to look forward to.

      Delete
  3. I have a rosemary plant on the back deck where it has been growing, with zero attention paid, for several years -- just like the US post office, through rain and snow and freezing winds. It seems to be rather hardy, much to my surprise.
    I'm going to try diatomaceous earth as a slug deterrent to see if I can avoid lace hostas this year. Wonder if that would work for your collards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess diatomaceous earth would be worth a try. We used to have two rosemary bushes on the south side of the house. I decided to prune them, and I guess I went to far, because they both died.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?