09 June 2019

Osso-bucco de veau



The supermarket had what they call osso-bucco de veau — slices of veal shank — on sale for 9.90€ per kilogram this past week — that's only $4.50/lb. I couldn't get over there to buy some until Friday, and of course, despite huge signs advertising the product, there were no veal shanks to be found. As you can see, however, they did have veal shanks on display, but in bulk in the cut-to-order glass case instead of in self-serve plastic-wrapped trays. And they were priced at 15.60€/kg.
The man I assume to be the manager of the meat department happened to be out front, not behind the glass case, having a conversation with another shopper. I waited around, browsing through the other meats in the refrigerated cases, until the conversation ended. As the butcher walked by, my shouted Bonjour, monsieur ! got his attention. I asked him if he had any veal shanks at the lower price. Seeming not to have heard me on the price question, he pointed out the more expensive veal shanks in the display case.
Oui, mais c'est beaucoup plus cher, I told him. I'm kind of used to this happening, since I've been shopping in the local supermarkets for 16 years now. Oh, okay, I'll give them to you at the sale price, he said. I was flabbergasted. How many do you want? Four, I said. He weighed out four shank slices, looked at me, and asked if that would be enough. There are just two of us, I told him, so we'll have leftovers with just those four.

With osso bucco, he said, plus c'est réchauffé, meilleur c'est — veal shank benefits from being re-heated. I agree with that. To make osso-bucco, first I browned the slices of veal in duck fat (butter or olive oil would also be good). As they browned, I diced up a big carrot, an onion, and two celery stalks. I took the veal out of the pan and lightly browned the diced vegetables. I deglazed the pan with white wine and a secret ingredient: a splash of Triple Sec (a liqueur flavored with dried orange peels).

Then I put the veal back into the pan and added enough tomates concassées (crushed tomatoes, out of a can) to cover the meat, along with 2 bay leaves and some thyme, salt, and pepper. I also put in big spoonful of powdered veal stock, which contains some potato starch that thickens the tomato sauce. The veal and vegetables cooked on very low heat for 3 hours, covered. We served the osso-bucco with potato gnocchi, which seem suddenly to be widely available these days.

11 comments:

  1. How worthwhile to speak up, politely, of course....But it sounds as though you did not need to do much persuading...Should you have bought some more to freeze?

    This looks delicious.I'm often reading your blog at one in the morning and when you write about food I have to remind myself to wait until morning when I awake to eat again! Hungarians eat the marrow on toast. Do you ever do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I eat the marrow out of the center of the bone that way. So often at the supermarket, the sale items are not available but the higher-priced items are. Also, a product can be advertised at a special low price, but if you look on the shelves where it normally lies, you find it at the regular, higher price. Only if you do some exploring might you finally find the sale-priced item in an unusual location in another part of the store. They are tricky, the French supermarkets.

      Delete
  2. Osso bucco is one of my favorite dishes. Ça m'a donné faim avant mon petit déjeuner et ça me donne encore faim après!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La viande était tellement tendre et moelleuse qu'on aurait pu la manger à la cuillère.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was and it will be again, when we have the leftovers tomorrow or Wednesday.

      Delete
  4. Do I see some garlic there? American groceries hide the specials too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two cloves of garlic cut into matchstick shapes.

      Delete
  5. Ken, are you familiar with the excellent blog about ancient French churches posted under the name Via Lucis Press (vialucispress.wordpress.com)? A husband and wife team, excellent photographers, seek out Romanesque churches as their hobby. Their photography is excellent and they also give a history of each building. If you haven't discovered them already, I think you'd really like their work. Sorry to send this as a "comment" but didn't know any other way to reach you.
    Libbie in New Bern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libbie, I'll look into that blog. I haven't heard of it before.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the link, I just love it!

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?