15 June 2019

Maisons normandes (3)

This is the third and last set of photos of houses in Normandy that I put together and edited this week. These aren't on the Cotentin peninsula but south and west of there, between Domfront and Alençon. I took some of them in Domfront, and others in the spa town called Bagnoles-de-l'Orne as well as in Carrouges. Some of these houses are châteaux, or manoirs at least.



Here it is June 15 and we are still having mostly chilly, cloudy weather, with heavy downpours from storms featuring lightning and thunder. This weather makes me feel like it's March instead of June, though I admit it's a little bit warmer than March weather. We hardly had any real winter weather between November 2018 and April 2019, and now I'm worried we might not have any real summer weather. I'm trying not to be a pessimist...

5 comments:

  1. The third house, the little cottage with the white door, looks perfect. I'll pack my bags. 20 years ago I would have gone for the first house....you know the chateau looking one. Re weather, if it makes you feel better, here in LA the high was around 70 and completely overcast today. We had two days that felt like Houston in July, then back to cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That third house is really beautiful, I think. It's in Domfront, a pretty town, and on the grounds of the ruined château there. I also think the fourth house would be a good place to live in. We went there looking for a man whose business is making calvados apple brandy. He invited us into his dining room and we had an impromptu tasting. He told us stories about World War II events in his town, La Ferté-Macé. We obviously had to buy a couple of bottles of calva.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a great day Ken!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my heavens, what charming buildings! That's a great story, too, about the Calvados guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calvados guy was somebody we had seen on a Jean-Luc Petitrenaud food and cooking show about that part of Normandy. Since were were passing through the town, we just decided to stop. I'm sure there was a vente directe sign at the front gate, meaning we could buy calvados there. The man — I can't remember his name — was my probably about my father's age (CHM's age) and he had lived through the war as an adolescent or very young man.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?