20 June 2019

Le Mont St-Michel en 15 images

I don't think the Mont St-Michel needs any introduction. Here is a slideshow containing 15 photos that I took there in June 2006. It lasts less than two minutes and will "loop" endlessly if you let it. You can pause it using YouTube controls if you want to examine a particular image. Indluded are views both of and from the Mont, which is an island at high tide and surrounded by mud flats, marshes, and "salty meadows at low time. Normandy cows as well as sheep graze nearby, and the bay north of the Mont is famous for the mussels farmed there.



I've been lucky to go the Mont Saint-Michel many times over the decades, including several trips since we moved to Saint-Aignan in 2003. Here are some of my older blog posts about the Mont. See also this Normandy tourism site about it.


P.S. The work up in the loft space continues. Progress is being made, but we've got a way to go yet. I didn't really have a chance to take any photos yesterday. Everything seems really chaotic at certain moments, but I'm sure it's going to be great when it's done. À suivre...


7 comments:

  1. Les moutons de pré-salé font envie de manger du gigot! Ça donne faim.

    I'm sure you're anxious for all this to be history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I've ever eaten agneau de pré-salé. The lamb we get here comes mostly from the Limousin, I think, at least the gigots that we get from the butcher's shop in St-Aignan. We also get Irish, English, Australian, and of course New Zealand lamb, in the supermarkets.

      Delete
  2. Nice pictures of the Mont. I've never been, though it seems I've always known about it. Out of curiosity I googled to see if any homes for sale there, but nothing.

    Thanks for the use of pré-salé chm. I didn't know it was a breed of lamb without the internet. I was going to guess that it meant pre-salted, or about to go on sale, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a few houses for sale in or around Le Mont St-Michel. The territory of the municipality consists of the Mont itself, the road that runs north-south below it, a small commercial area where there are hotels, restaurants, and shops, and then a big plot of farmland with only a few houses on it, as far as I can see. The population of the municipality is 30 (not a typo), including maybe 10 members of the religious order/community on the Mont itself. Nobody really lives there, and the tourist traffic (cars and buses) must be horrendous for most of the year.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link Ken. Interesting that the population of the area is so low!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures you have posted of Mont St Michel. My family and I were fortunate to get to visit it in 2003. Its beauty has remained a special memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures. I haven't been yet, although I've driven by that neighborhood -- in rain and fog with zero visibility, so not much sightseeing. I have a pretty little watercolor painting made into a bookmark, bought at a village art show in Calvados.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?