15 April 2014

My last day in Morehead

We call our town "Morehead"  the way New Yorkers call their city "New York"  — "City" is understood. Yesterday was my last full day here in the town where I was born and grew up. Unless something drastic happens, it will be a year before I come back for another visit. Here are five photos I took yesterday afternoon.

One of Morehead's oldest neighborhoods is called Conchs Point. (I would have put an apostrophe somewhere in that name.) My Aunt Alena lived over there for years, with her husband George Snooks. Do you know what a conch is? Or how to pronounce the word?

Here's another photo that I took at Conchs Point. It's where the street ends, at the edge of a salt marsh.

The old and the new: the local people used to make their living or ensure their subsistence by fishing for conchs, crabs, small fish, or shrimp using flat-bottomed skiffs to ply the waters. Nowadays, outsiders come in and build monster mansions on what used to be farmland.

One of the main residential streets in Morehead is Evans Street, which runs west from the waterfront (with its fishing boats and seafood restaurants) for 35 or so blocks out to what used to be the edge of town. I grew up on Evans Street at 14th Street. The house above was the home of Ed and Dorothy Oglesby, with their five children. They were all distant cousins of ours, I think, and our friends.

Toward its western end, Evans Street again runs along the shore of Bogue Sound, and is lined with many impressive live oak trees. These are at Evans and 28th Streets. The houses are bigger over there, and many of them are summer homes.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely city at Morehead. I can smell the the ocean!

    Abondance de biens ne nuit pas: Again, Have a pleasant and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beachy colors on the house at Evans and 14th. Perfect for a U.S. coastal home of this type. Would you say it was built in the 1920s, Ken?

    Safe travels. I've enjoyed your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Yes, I do know how conch is pronounced, and what it is :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos, Ken. Having cruised the Waterway,
    I remember it well. Can't believe two weeks have gone by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just beautiful! safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a safe trip back to Mareuil.
    Days go by so fast and will wait for another daily report next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci, N. I'm in the airport in Charlotte as I type... er... tap this.

    OFG :-)

    Sheila, tempus fugit, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merci, CHM and Judy. As I sit here in the Stock Car Café at CLT, I hear a woman's voice that sounds just like my sister's. My mother and grandfather were born just 35 miles south of Charlotte. I'm not at all dépaysé.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your flight out of New Bern was on time. Soon you'll be hearing French- part of why I love traveling to France. Bon voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here I am at CDG airport, blogging and commenting. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, free wifi in the airport is a nice touch! I don't remember having such in Paris ever.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONK - it's a big snail that lives in a shell like you see on the sign.

    Welcome home! Love that east coast, though, and miss it when I see your pics.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?