...when you start on what seems like a simple project. Window ledges all around the house need repainting. For some of them, somebody has to climb a ladder. Ladder work is Walt's domain. My feet stay on the ground.
Other window ledges, at ground level, are hidden by vegetation, but they still need to be scraped, sanded, and painted. So you have to get rid of the vegetation. In this case, it was a rosemary bush that we planted a few years back and that grew to be a monster. Rosemary loves this hot sunny location against the south-facing wall of the house.
As they say in France: « Rien n'est simple. » The rosemary bush had to go. Well, I didn't actually want to pull it out. But it badly needed a radical pruning. I attacked it yesterday morning with pruning shears, limb-loppers, and hedge clippers.
I wish I had taken a picture of it before I started, but I didn't think about it in time. In the top picture in this post, you can see how much of it I cut away. It's the two piles of branches on the ground. In the picture below, you can see the other rosemary bush that is growing up against the house.
The untrimmed rosemary bush is actually smaller than the other bush was before I started hacking away at it. At least now the window ledge is accessible, and soon I can start working on it. We're supposed to have nice dry weather next week, so progress will be made. The other bush will have to be pruned back too.