19 November 2015

In the grip of lag

Groggy. Cotton-brained. Off-kilter. Bleary-eyed. Only more time will set things straight. It's all systems normal, actually. Je souffre du décalage horaire. Jet lag has me by the throat. And it's not unexpected.


And here's what they're saying on the TV news about the whole situation here after the terrorist attacks last Friday night: La France est en guerre, et la guerre est en France. France is in a war, and the war is in France. But you'd never know it in Saint-Aignan if you didn't watch TV or listen to the radio.


The weather is not helping my jet lag. It was gray most of the day yesterday. And today Météo France is predicting even grayer skies with a chilly rain. The dark days are upon us. Lag needs sun to heal it, but I can't count on that.


As you can see, skies over the hamlet were pretty yesterday morning. Sort of impressionistic, if I can use that term. It's not cold out, but by Saturday it's supposed to be much colder. It really is time to bring the last of the cold-sensitive potted plants indoors.


Callie is still enjoying her promenades, and I am too. I'll go out, maybe in the rain, this afternoon. I bought myself a new rain jacket in North Carolina. I had foreseen the need. I've already worn it once — day before yesterday. It's broken in and good to go.

15 comments:

  1. I love the first photo. Dramatic and subtle at the same time. We had brilliant sunshine for part of yesterday afternoon. I hope you did to and you rushed out in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky was really pretty Wednesday morning. Less so today...

      Delete
  2. These scenes bring memories of past posts Ken - after several years of following you and Walt, a feeling of familiarity and friendship return with each season change. After selling our house, no! Home, we move on to a rural life, inspired by our experiences with the Loire crowd. We thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and Sue end up liking life in the country as much as we do.

      Delete
  3. My recipe for getting in time where ever you are is after dinner at the normal time you dine at in the country you are in, have a large glass of Scotch or two an hour before bedtime. It always works for me, and if doesn't repeat the following day. It may not totally prevent jetlag, but puts you on a quick path to normal time, wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have trouble sleeping the first night or two. It's the third and after when the jet lag comes on with a vengeance. I use wine as my sleep aid. Maybe I should try cognac.

      Delete
    2. Expensive cognac, 'licking lips'.

      Delete
  4. yuck, gray skies are so uninviting. But, these photos show a sky mixed with some lovely bits of blue and fluffy white skies, so all is headed for good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't want to be here today. The weather reports say we can expect maybe 1½ inches of rain before it turns cold tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Quite a nice layer of fallen leaves in that last shot with Callie. I am longing for your autumnal weather...we are still in the 80s F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't rub it in! It was warm in N.C. too. In fact, it's not yet cold here, but it won't be warm for much longer now.

      Delete
  6. I don't know - I am spending another autumn in Upstate New York where it is startlingly beautiful in the fall but cold and dreary at the same time. Today the skies are so grey , it is damp and just tells us that a long winter is ahead. I am having a hard time keeping a good mood... even with the new cat charming me all the time.
    I am pretty sure I am going to cave and go where it is not snowing or frigid every winter .. South .
    While back to Buenos Aires would be lovely- I have a feeling it will be Florida. Northern Florida .. with frequent visits to Buenos Aires :)
    Somehow your grey skies are prettier than mine and I am in a very beautiful location. want to trade ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the upstate NY landscape too. We were there in autumn a few years ago, and it was beautiful. We got out before the snowflakes started flying.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?