28 June 2024

On the streets of Poitiers


Poitiers is not a town I know well. Walt and I had a funny experience there once, back in 1989. We were driving from Bordeaux toward Paris, sightseeing along the way. We stopped in Royan to see the 20th century church there. The architect who designed the church was a man we had met in Paris. We stopped in the town of Saintes to see the Roman amphitheatre there. We decided to drive on to Poitiers and have dinner. We drove around in the town for an hour or so but we couldn't find a restaurant. So we gave up and spent the night in a motel out on the autoroute. I don't remember if we got dinner at all. The next day, we drove on toward Paris, going through Saint-Aignan (with no clue that we might live here one day), Beaugency, and Chartres, with stops. We were on our way back to San Francisco after a road trip from Grenoble to Bordeaux and on to Paris.

These, by the way, are some photos I took in Poitiers in July 2006 when Charles-Henry and I drove there just to have a quick look around. We used to do that a lot when he would come and stay with us for a week or two in summertime.

1 comment:

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?