05 February 2024

What's next?

I don't know. I'm not sure what to do with this blog right now. I've been writing to old friends of mine and Charles-Henry's since Saturday to make sure they know of his passing. In this time that I'll call l'après CHM, I've been thinking a lot about how a series of coincidences, almost accidents, can alter the course of a person's existence. That's what happened to me 40 years ago.

In 1982, I had just left Paris after living and working there for three years. I lived with and then was married to a French woman back then. She really wanted to go live in the U.S. I didn't want to leave Paris, but at the age of 33 I was coming to the realization that I needed to fly across the Atlantic one more time, maybe the last, figure out where I would like to live, and then find a job with some kind of retirement plan in case I lived long enough to actually go into retirement one day. I had met Walt, and my wife and I separated and eventually divorced. She stayed in Washington DC and had a long career in the the translation department at the International Monetary fund (IMF). She still lives there and is retired.

One day in the autumn of 1982, a friend of mine from North Carolina who lived in DC (and still does), a woman named Eleanor who was a student at Duke when I was and who was also on the Vanderbilt University study abroad program in Aix-en-Provence with me in 1970, called me and said she had noticed an ad that the U.S. Information Agency (USIA, the cultural services of the U.S. Department of State) was running in the Washington Post with the goal of finding and hiring a full-time French-English translator. You should apply, Eleanor said. I had no idea whether I could qualify for such a job, but I sent in an application. I hadn't seriously started looking for a job yet, but time was passing. I was asked to come in and take a translation test soon after that.

My French was pretty good in 1982, because since 1970 I had spent 6 months in Aix, 9 months in Rouen (where I had become friends with a family in which nobody spoke English), 18 months in Paris (1974-76) on the staff of the University of Illinois (U of I) year abroad program, and then three more years in Paris (1979-82) commuting to Metz in Eastern France to teach English classes part-time at the university there, and finally serving as resident director of another American study abroad program that operated out of the Alliance Française.

When I wasn't living and working in France, I lived in Champaign-Urbana IL and worked as a graduate student and teaching assistant in the French Department at the University of Illinois, as well as a part-time employee of the American Association of Teachers of French (AATF), which had its headquarters in Champaign. There I had helped organize and worked on the staff at AATF conventions for teachers that we held on the French island of Martinique in the Caribbean in 1979 and in the city of Québec in francophone Canada in 1980.

After returning to the U.S. in 1982, I had almost decided to go and look for a job in Illinois, preferably Chicago, but I finally decided to try my luck in Washington DC first because I figured I had a better chance of finding a job there in which my French-language skills might be helpful and because it was much closer to my home town on the N.C. coast. That turned out to be a fateful decision.

This is a photo taken in San Francisco in 1998. From left to right, there's Walt (at age 38), our dearly departed friend Cheryl (age 47), me (age 49), and Charles-Henry (age 73). He died a few days ago at age 99. I think our friend Sue, Cheryl's first cousin, took the picture. Sue is still out there in California and I talk to her on the telephone a couple or three times a month. We were in San Francisco to see a collection of French impressionist paintings at the SF Museum of Modern Art.

At the beginning of January 1983 the phone rang at the apartment I had found to rent in Arlington VA. It was Charles-Henry calling. I didn't know him and he didn't know me. He told me he had been asked by a USIA colleague, a French woman named Jeanine, to evaluate my translation test (among others) and help her decide who was the best candidate for the translator job she needed to fill.

Over the phone, Charles-Henry said he thought I might be a good candidate for a job slot he needed to fill at USIA. Would I come in and talk to him? Of course I said yes. He worked in a building located at 1776 Pennsylvania Avenue, near the White House. I was impressed. More tomorrow...

14 comments:

  1. Rest in peace CHM! Sad news... and a huge chunk of your life Ken.... I will be thinking of you today and I'll raise a glass to Charles-Henry this evening.
    No wonder you are in a quandry... a très grand bouleversement in your life.... losing a lifelong friend, it is as mentally upsetting as losing a parent.
    Have as best a day as possible....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim. I'm just planning to do the next thing for a while. With my declining faculties, I too easily get lost in my photo archives these days. I can't multi-task any more, and waste a lot of time getting distracted by things when I'm involved in complicated work. Maybe I'll spring back...

      Delete
  2. We always find your life stories interesting, Ken. I'll enjoy continuing to read about all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell your story, and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great picture. It's good to have something to remind us of happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to add that the way to deal with declining faculties is to celebrate what you can still do rather than hanker after what you can no longer do. It works for me, most of the time anyway.

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm still driving, at least on the little local roads. And still enjoy cooking and blogging. And walking the dog every day.

      Delete
  5. What a nice photo! Charles-Henry aged more slowly than most of us. I'm surprised that he wore the same kind of clothes in his seventies that he was wearing when I met him in his eighties. He always looked good.
    I too, am amazed at the "accidents" that shape our lives forever. One of mine was meeting three new people on AOL's francophile forum one day in the late nineties. Mystery is built into our lives, so let's just roll along and try to enjoy the sunrises, like CHM said- they are the start of a new day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What three people are you talking about, E.? Marie-J.? Me?

      Delete
    2. Marie and the woman from Buffalo whose name I can't remember right now. She was sick at the time, but Lewis and I visited her once. She came to France and took Marie for lunch at the Eiffel tower. Maybe her name was Jean--funny how things creep into our minds lol.

      Delete
  6. Love this picture, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to think it is 'fate' when some occurrence happens that later I learn has really made an impact on the rest of my life. But, why wouldn't it? As our life goes on, new experiences, new people are bound to affect how we react, how we grow, whether we take one road or go on to the next! I look forward to those occurrences as they make my life more interesting as it keeps changing directions, some big, some small! When there no longer are changes, life will be very boring for me! Since each one of us has a life of our own, I really am fascinated to hear how other's lives have taken "turns"!

    I am currently reading a non-fiction book, entitled, OUTLIVE - The Science & Art of Longevity by Peter Attia, MD. He was on a radio program I enjoy most nights on NPR - THINK by Kris (not exactly sure how she sells her name!) Boyd. He writes about Living better longer. I am halfway through the book, and my current chapter is: Exercise the Most Powerful Longevity Drug. I recommend this book, Ken. I think you could find the interview online or in a podcast. I will search for the link(s).

    ReplyDelete
  8. The NPR host of THINK is Krys Boyd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I will look for that. For me, walking with the dog gives me good fresh air, exercise, and a daily schedule.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?