22 February 2024

Ferronnerie (1)

The French painter Félix Michel (1856-1915) had as a friend a man named Henri Le Secq des Tournelles who was just two years older than he was. I think their fathers were friends; both were artistes-peintres. Henri's father also collected wrought iron objects (ferronnerie) and he left the collection to his son when he died in 1882. Henri made it his life's work to expand the collection and it is now on display in an old church building near the Musée des Beaux Arts in Rouen. Here are a few photos I took there in 1999.

Rouen seen from high ground just south of the city.

This the interior of the old church building where all sorts of interesting wrought iron objects are on display.



P.S. We're having very high winds this morning and I'm trying to get this post uploaded before our power goes out. It flickered a few minutes ago. More tomorrow, if possible...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite a collection.
    Thanks for your response to my question yesterday, about where the memorial service might be held. I wish that I lived close enough to Virginia to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful things!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing collection.
    Linda from Alabama

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?