19 February 2024

Pastels by Félix Michel (1)

The 19th century painter Charles-Henri Michel, grandfather of my friend Charles-Henry who passed away two weeks ago at the age of 99, was not the only artiste-peintre in the Michel family. The painter Charles-Henri had three sons: Auguste, Félix, et Paul, all born between 1855 and 1860. One of them, Félix, was a painter who worked with pastels. That's about all I know about him, except that I read somewhere that he lived most of his life in Rouen (Normandy), a city where I spent a year teaching... 50 years ago. C-H's father Paul was a well-known doctor who practiced in Paris and died in 1956.
These pastels came to me from Charles-Henry who recently died via another friend of his whose name is Jim. Jim became a colleague and friend of Charles-Henry's some 50 years ago. I have never actually met him, but Jim and I have been keeping each informed on Charles-Henry's health for a few years now. Charles-Henry talked of Jim often and fondly over the decades I knew him. At some point he gave Jim digitized copies of these pastels that C-H's uncle Félix painted, I assume, in the 19th century. I first saw them decades ago, I didn't have a copy of them until Jim e-mailed them to me last week. He asked me to post them here.

PS: I just found this web page about Félix Michel, who died in 1915. It was written by our departed friend Charles-Henry!

10 comments:

  1. It is an honor to be mentioned in this wonderful blog, and a privilege to share these lovely pastels with Ken and his faithful followers! Thank you, Ken, for enlarging them and posting them here so that more people could see and enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really lovely pastels, Ken.... I particularly like the bottom left one which looks as if the artist was sitting in our meadow!
    I have dabbled in pastels... both oil and chalk, and know how easy it is to create a "muddy" look by over blending. But all these glow, they are fabulous!!
    Also "PS: I just found this web page about Félix Michel, who died in 1915. It was written by our departed friend Charles-Henry!"
    Err? Should there be a link there somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, I'm fixing it. Old age, you know.

      Delete
    2. I notice that it was CHM who wrote that!!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you shared these here. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google translate says he settled down as a ‘confectioner’ but continued painting. So would that be a chocolate maker? A nice article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful paintings. Thanks for posting.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautifully done, creating a very real and open look of space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each one is beautiful! Finding CHM's words is a bonus. Speaking of words. I just read Blue Horses poem collection of Mary Oliver which is a nice way to pass a few moments. She would appreciate your walks in the vineyard.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?