11 February 2022

Pannes (outages)

It just came back.  For the last 90 minutes, I've had no internet, no telephone, and no television.  The internet and phone seemed completely dead.  The television was intermittent, with moments when it seemed fine, and longer moments when the screen was frozen or completely blank.  The remote control wouldn't work.  Then suddenly it all came back to life. 

Yesterday, I went to Super U to get some supplies.  The store was fairly crowded.  When I had found everything I needed, I got in line to check out and pay.  A woman about my age, two customers ahead of me, was trying to pay with her bank card. It wouldn't work.  She tried again.  And again.  People ahead of me and behind me in line stood and watched in disbelief. How could that woman be so incompetent and slow?

Well, it turned out that it wasn't the customer's fault.  Super U's internet was down.  The cashier was on the phone with somebody trying to figure out what the problem was.  Pas de réseau (no network), she finally told us.  Bank cards couldn't be used.  The woman who had been trying for a while to get her card to work then got out her checkbook and slowly wrote a check.  But even checks need to be run through some kind of reader/printer that verifies the account and prints the amount on the check.  That was down too.  The woman had 100 euros' worth of groceries.  Asked if she could pay cash, she said she didn't have 100 euros in her purse. 

The woman right ahead of me in line turned to me and said she didn't have any cash either.  Luckily, I had a fifty-euro bill in my wallet.  I quickly added up my purchases and realized I had less than 50 euros' worth of stuff.  I told the cashier I could pay cash for my groceries.  She told me to go to the next cash desk, which was not open, and come around to the front of her desk.  The customer who had been in front of me picked up my groceries and handed them one by one to the cashier, who scanned them (that was working).  I handed her my 50-euro bill and she gave me about 8 euros in change.  The check-out lines were getting longer and longer.  Confusion reigned.  Nobody knew what to do.  I was glad I had cash in my wallet. Usually I don't have much more than 10 or 20 euros on me.  Soon I was out the door, in my Peugeot, and on my way home. 

Something big is going on in Saint-Aignan.  There are work crews everywhere, digging trenches along roads all around the town.  A lot of smaller side roads are closed off.  Either they are connecting more houses to sewer mains, or they are putting down fiber optic cable.  Or something else.  I hope it's fiber.  Maybe I should run a speed test and see if my internet connection is faster than before the panne.  I'll get back to my regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.  Meanwhile, here are the speed test results.  They're about what they've been for a few years now. 


8 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment, used to say my late old friend JL. But still, this is so frustrating! When at home, you have no idea when the juice will be coming back and outside it is, as you show, quite a mess. I always carried around one hundred dollars in my wallet, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People kept asking the Super U cashier how long the outage was going to last. She was telling them that it was just like at home: when the internet or electricity goes out, you never know when it will come back on.

      Delete
  2. out here in the woods our internet only has a speed of 12 whatever

    ReplyDelete
  3. In an increasingly cashless society, we will come to a halt if the network is down. I saw a headline that some angry teen crashed N Korea's network recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in amazing times, but dependent on technology more and more. Glad you weren't shut down too long. I see a lot of trucks in my neighborhood doing fiber optic cable. We have Spectrum and ATT&T here competing which seems like a waste. Is your cable provided by the government?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracious, folks should know that it's just like at home, and who knows how long the outage will be LOL... so glad you had some liquide on you :)

    By now, you must know that it's unusual for me to miss commenting on your blog daily. I can't believe that I missed posts on Angers! I'm glad they are still there for me to read :) I was down for the count for almost three days, with a nasty stomach virus. Recuperating now, finally.

    We really enjoyed Angers -- I believe it's where we headed next, after leaving Saint Aignan, so it was the first days when you were dealing with Callie's tragic injury and final days, so I don't think I ever mentioned it much to you. We went, especially, to see the château (and I completely forgot to go see the cathedral!), and we enjoyed our hotel and our walk around town and our lunch there. We even went to the big grocery store... I forget which one... where we also got gas. Angers is also a university town, which I know because several of my students have done semesters or years abroad there --it's where our local university sends students.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about that, Judy. And I'm glad you are feeling better. At first I thought you might have had Covid, but I guess it wasn't that. Yesterday I got a haircut down in the village. The woman who cuts my hair told me that her husband had Covid three weeks ago and was pretty sick for a few days. Fever, achy joints and muscles, sore throat... He had been completely vaccinated, including the booster shot. Luckily, she and their children (three of them) didn't catch it.

      Delete
  6. Ah. Living in the countryside.
    People think I overreact, but I swear here in rural Austria there are brownouts at the half and full hour.
    Same with peak hours such as end of work days and mornings. No fiber, just old fashioned copper . One day.....

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?