26 February 2022

Cabin fever, and an apple pancake

This morning, I realized that I've got cabin fever. That's a malady you get when you spend too much time shut up inside your house. And I've got it despite the fact that I take Tasha out for a (short) walk every day. Walt does the same. Tasha needs the exercise and fresh air. Maybe I need to go out in the car and take a long drive. And take my camera with me. There's a town 15 minutes from here called Villentrois where I'd like to take some photos. There's a town about an hour away called Brinay where I'd like to go take pictures too. The afternoons are sunny right now.


Above is a photo of Tasha sleeping in her "doggy corral" (enclos pour chien) in the living room. She sleeps in there every morning for two or three hours while I work on my laptop nearby. At night we carry her upstairs — she can walk, but not on stairs yet — to the loft and put her in a second enclos, where she spends the night. I think she's comfortable, and she took to the corrals immediately. She's been spending 90 to 95 per cent of her time in them for about a month now. She's doing a lot better, but who knows if she will ever entirely recover and have full mobility again. She's 5 years old now, and this accident ended her puppyhood rather brutally.


Meanwhile, yesterday afternoon I made an apple pancake called a crépiau or crêpiot that I read about and mentioned a few days ago in comments. It's a little like a clafoutis that's cooked in a pan on top of the stove instead of in the oven. Three cored, peeled, and sliced apples are cooked in some butter in a frying pan, and then an egg, flour, and milk batter is poured over them to cook. Actually, it might have been better to make two smaller crépiaux instead of one big one. I couldn't figure out how I was going to turn it over to brown it on both sides, so finally I browned the top under the broiler in the oven. The batter is a variation on crêpe batter, and I made this one using one-third buckwheat flour (sarrasin or farine de blé noir) and two-thirds plain wheat flour. Here's the recipe.

Crépiau (Crêpiot, Crapiau)
An unleavened French apple pancake

2 eggs
250 g flour (2 cups)
1 Tbsp. sugar (or more)
500 ml milk (2 cups)
3 apples
40 g butter, divided (4 tablespoons)
Optional: a small amount of vanilla extract, rum, or calvados, to taste

Mix the egg with the flour. Dilute with the milk. Melt half the butter and mix it into the batter.
Optionally, you can add some sugar to the batter, which should rest for 45 minutes or longer.

Peel and core the apples. Cut them into thin slices. Put them in a large frying pan
with the rest of the butter and cook on medium heat.

Once the apples have softened, turn the heat down to low and pour the batter
over them. Let the pancake cook for about 15 minutes covered.

When the pancake has set, turn it over to brown the other side.
(I browned the top under the broiler in our toaster oven.)

Serve warm or cold in wedges or squares.

This is not a light and fluffy pancake. It's more of a substantial, stick-to-your-ribs kind of  custard cake.
It's good, but I wish I had put some calvados (apple brandy) or rum in it instead of vanilla.

23 comments:

  1. After all that talk about the Crépiot the other day, I was sure you’d be tempted to try it and here it is. It looks good and a kind of tarte Tatin.
    Does it taste like crêpes or tarte aux pommes or something else? You’re right about calvados, but I am un vieil ivrogne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great! I'm excited that you made a crêpiot! I've never seen one before. I'll be visiting the link you just posted in your comment.

    The drives are a good idea, I think. I get to leave to go to work and be with people every day, but my husband is retired, and he always remarks that it was a good thing to be able to get out of the house, even if we just drive to the park and take sandwiches with us... just getting out of the house can help break the spell.

    Sweet Tasha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting out of the house would be reinvigorating, but we can't both go unless we take Tasha with us. That doesn't seem like a good idea. We're stuck. At least skies are sunny. I had a good walk witn Tasha this afternoon. It was actually warm out there.

      Delete
  3. Tasha will heal and probably surprise you. When Gretel my dobie was about the same age she was hit by a car and her back leg was broken. After about 6 months she was running just as if it never happened. Tash will do well I just know it will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, my sister. We plan to keep Tash from trying to run and jump for another few months so that she won't re-injure that lame hind leg or injure the other one. The hard and dangerous thing is being in this house with two staircases to deal with. Carrying her up and down is so risky. So far so good. Love you.

      Delete
  4. We are real hermits now, so used to being home and not going anywhere. My husband does a lot of work in the yard, any excuse to be outside unless too cold or rainy. The only time I go out in the car is to go to the grocery these days. We don't have too many neighbors in the winter which makes for quiet times. We are looking forward to opening up our airbnb again May 1 to see more people!
    Tasha is such a good dog to stay in her fenced area like that. What does Bertie think of the enclosure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like us. Irritable, restless, bored, depressed. Not clinically, but just tired of being confined and house-bound. Part of it is the fact that we never have anybody come into the house, so it's hard to get motivated to keep up with the house-keeping and cleaning. We just seem to be falling behind and making no progress. I really miss my trips to Paris, to gîtes in different parts of France, and especially to North Carolina.

      Delete
  5. Cabin fever? I have no idea what that could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my comment to Melinda, above.

      Delete
    2. Words that come to mind are confinement, claustrophie, morosité, déprime, pessimisme...

      Delete
    3. Thank you for this enumeration. I am certainly very lucky that in my long life I never experienced any of these. I don’t know what boredom is. And, once again, I know how lucky I am.

      Delete
    4. Imagine yourself sitting in a room, apartment, or house where the temperature never goes above 18ºC, with no way to go elsewhere.

      Delete
    5. Well, for one thing, I’d turn the thermostat to 22-24*C to be comfortable and I’m sure i’d find something positive and rewarding to do, such as reading, writing or do some bricolage?

      Delete
    6. We don't have a thermostat to heal the dog or stop all trees around us from dying. Or end the pandemic, which is not over yet. It's normal to feel human emotions.

      Delete
    7. Rien ne sert de se rebeller contre se qu’on ne peut empêcher!

      Delete
  6. The crepiot looks delicious. Thanks for making it for us to see. I'm like Joanna in thinking that Tasha will make a full recovery. Our Rosie is going strong after two operations and she is twelve I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you and Joanna are right. Thanks for injecting some optimism into my life. It's like a vaccine — makes things better.

      Delete
    2. I had another wedge of crepiot this afternoon. I warmed it up and it was delicious. Good Gala apples.

      Delete
  7. The crepiot sounds delish. If you don't want vanilla, and haven't any rum or Calvados handy, what would be a good substitute?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?