07 February 2022

L'Église Saint-Pierre-du-Marais à Saumur

Walt, CHM, and I were in the town of Saumur, about 70 miles west of Saint-Aignan, on a sunny July day. It was in 2006, so not yesterday. The first order of business was lunch. We got an outdoor table at a restaurant near one of the town's churches. The restaurant was the Auberge St-Pierre, and the church was the église St-Pierre-du-Marais. After lunch, we walked through the church and took some pictures before heading up to the château for views over the town and the river.

    

    

    

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember that outside lunch in the shadow of the church.
    The stained-glass window in #3 is stunning, compared to the boring #2. The later probably a typical 19th century product.
    Photo #5, that Pieta could be a design for a stained-glass window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close your right eye when you look at the blog so that you won't see that tacky-stained glass window.

      Delete
    2. LOL Ken! You crack me up with this remark. It is difficult for me to imagine these two so- different stained glass windows in the same church.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I did. It works! Who knew?

      Delete
  2. Ha! I don't know that I share chm's assessment of the two stained-glass windows, but I do admire (once again) your ability to get amazing photos of stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Ken, in answer to your question on my comment yesterday, no, I don't have the Cadogan guidebook. I've only heard of that brand since reading your blog. I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magnificent stained-glass window, #3, representing sainte Jeanne Delanoue, was made in the atelier du maître-verrier Max Ingrand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn’t see it until today, le nom du restaurant, Quichenotte is a derivation of the English, kiss not.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?