06 September 2020

Paris, post #18

I just tried to count how many posts there are in this series about Paris. I got 18. So my virtual Paris vacation is getting close to being three weeks long.
For today, I'm posting the mystery photo above first. Can anybody tell me what and where this building is? It has to be in either the 5th, 6th, or 7th arrondissement, because I took it from the top of the Tour Montparnasse in August 2015. I've tried every way I can think of — using Google Maps, for example — but can't identify it. I just looked at the photo in the context of those I took just before it and just after, and the result leads me to believe that it's in the 5th. Oh, I just found it. Do you want me to tell you or do you want to tell me?


That was my excitement for the day. It keeps my mind active, this looking at images and maps to see if I can identify buildings and other landmarks that show up in my old photos. There's no mystery about the one above.
No mystery surrounds this one either. It's the roof and cupola (is it a cupola?) of the old Paris opera house, the Palais Garnier. It's just about 2 miles north of the Tour Montparnasse.
Above is another shot of the Grand Palais and it's glass roof. I took all these photos except the one of the Eiffel Tower with a Canon camera that I gave to a friend a couple of years ago. I don't know what possessed me...
And finally for today, another view of the Église Saint-Eustache, in the Les Halles neighborhood of central Paris where I lived for three years, 1979-82.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, the mystery photo. I spent hours trying to find out what that building was, but in vain. I was able to ID the little church that is on the right of the Observatory, it is Saint-Joseph-de-Cluny.

    I think the mystery building is located west of the Observatory and south of the Montparnasse Boulevard in the 14th arrondissement.

    Je donne ma langue au chat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally found it. It is located avenue Denfert-Rochereau. It is disaffected.

      Delete
    2. Bingo. Glad to provide some entertainment.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure the Monastère de la Visitation is "disaffected" — I see web pages about the Visitation order and the monasteries around France and beyond here. At number 68bis, rue Denfert-Rochereau, there's a shop called Artisanat Monastique where you can buy a wide range articles made by members of religious orders all over France.

      Delete
    4. I thought it was the Hôpital Saint-Vincent de Paul which is contiguous to the Couvent de la Visitation. They look like it is one big building. Mystery solved!

      Delete
  2. I've never been in Saint Eustache, nor even paid attention that I was in front of it, whenever I (no doubt) was. My au pair family told me that whenever they went to church (which I never knew them to do, though), they went there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all these Belle Epoque buildings like Opera Garnier and Grand Palais. The sculptures on the roofs and cornices are great. Of course, the dome, sculptures and chandelier feature prominently in the film and stage version of Phantom of the Opera.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?