20 September 2020

More about blogging issues, and more about Notre-Dame de Paris

I've had some luck experimenting with the New Blogger. I think I've got a few things under control now. I'll see as I go what glitches I run into, but so far, so good.

Inside a cathedral it's often pretty dark. If it's sunny outside, one thing you can attempt to take decent picture of is stained glass. Without using a flash, anyway, which is something I don't do much.

Or you can stick to taking photos of features on the exterior of the building.

Above is a photo of the rose window in the north wing of the transept at Notre-Dame. In other words, it's north facing, so there's less light shining through in in the afternoon that through the south-facing window across from it, below.

If neither photo seems very much in focus to you, remember that they were taken 13 years ago, using a camera of that time. Besides, when you look at stained-glass windows from a distance, you don't see much clear detail anyway. I also don't use a tripod in such situations. The colors are nice.

Here's one more photo of Notre-Dame before the fire burned the roof off and the steeple fell.

P.S. I want to show you what I work with to prepare my blog posts. A lot of the work is done in what is called "compose mode" and the photos and text look approximately what you see when you open the blog in your browser. However, photos need to be resized and placed in the blog window where you want them. I do that work in "HTML mode" on screens that look like this one. It shows today's post, and if you look you can see my text in it. The rest is HTML code and it takes some getting used to before you can work with it with confidence. Actually, I had already cleaned this code up a little by adding some line breaks to make it more readable.


This morning I'm trying to figure out how to do one of the slideshows I've been posting for a couple of year now. I first upload the slideshow, in mp4 format, to YouTube, and then YouTube gives me some code I can use to "embed" the video in my blog post. Or that's how it used to work. In the new Blogger interface, it doesn't work any more. There must be some other way to include a slideshow in a blog post...

15 comments:

  1. Is it too early to say "ouf"?
    Thank you for posting how you prepare each post. It is now much clearer (?) for me what is involved. I had no idea how it worked and now I understand the html bit.

    Gorgeous photos, especially the stained glass windows.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stained glass windows are stunning. The colors "vibrate." Those turquoise and cobalt blues are incredible. Hope all these windows survived.

    Hmmm, there's cuneiform in the white panel of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. If I have to work with Blogger in HTML mode, I'll probably give it up. Of course, that won't matter if the borders to France and Canada remain closed to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only hope those borders will re-open in the not-too-distant future.

      Delete
  4. I'd be willing to deal with that code if someone were paying me (well).
    As a volunteer enterprise though: yikes! Your courage and patience are admirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really remember when, why, or how I started tweaking the HTML code in Blogger. Way back when, I had some HTML training paid for by some company I worked for. I learned just enough to be dangerous.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous windows! Thanks for your perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life would be so different if I quit blogging.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I wrote a whole comment without being logged in, and lost it.

    Your stained-glass photos are some of the very best out there on the Web, Ken! That first one, really... holy cow (no pun intended... not sure if there is a cow in there, anyway LOL).

    I doubt that you need my help, but thanks to your struggles, I investigated more into how to insert video into my blog posts (which I have never done), and figured out how to do it in the basic editor, using a YouTube link, but I'm sure that you must need a more editable HTML coding interface :) Thanks for giving me an opportunity to learn, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured out the thing about embedding YouTube videos in my blog posts today. There are two ways to do it. So that's no longer a problem. As for JPG files, when you upload a photo to insert it in a Blogger post, it is automatically archived by Google. You can access those photos here. They are linked to your Google account and only you can see them.

      Delete
    2. Judith, if you're using a Windows computer, the free Livewriter tool allows you to very add and resize pictures and videos in your blog. You can upload or very easily link to Youtube etc.

      Delete
  7. Remarkable photos, Ken. Not a chance I would consider starting a blog if I needed to learn html first. Many times I had thought I would like to learn it, but now, I think my time has passed that era of my life ! Lucky for us you worked in that area, and you are able to share photos along with videos and you tube audio, etc. to make your blog so enjoyable to read.

    BTW, one of my friends remarked a couple of days ago that two of her children (adults with grown-up kids) have already applied for Canadian citizenship should Trump be re-elected. A quarantine would be required at this time I believe as Americans are not allowed into Canada at this time. Not too far out of the equation for me, either - but only if my daughter would also be willing to go!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US-Canadian border is closed until October 21, at the earliest, per an announcement a day or so ago. I've been following that, and the question of the French borders.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?