21 September 2020

A Notre-Dame slideshow

Here's a slideshow featuring photos I took of Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris more than a decade ago. Today is the last day of summer (or is it the first day of autumn?) and my virtual Paris vacation is winding down. The coronavirus situation seems to be worsening everywhere, and I'm afraid we might go back into lockdown (confinement in French) any day now. I don't think there are very many cases in the Saint-Aignan area, but people in the big cities are being hit hard.



The first two photos of the south bell tower of the cathedral were taken from my sister's hotel room window on the Rue des Carmes in the Latin Quarter. The three following shots show some of the stone statuary on the cathedral's west façade. Then there are six photos of some of the stained glass seen from inside.

I decided to show these photos as a slideshow just to make sure I have it working the way it should. If you let the show run twice, you might notice that on the second showing the photos are more in focus than the first time around. I think that has to do with giving them time to download to your computer or tablet completely. Maybe the speed of your internet connection makes a difference — ours isn't super-speedy.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's great. I was always confident you would find a way to master Blogger's new interface, and you did it! Félicitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say I'm making progress. IMHO, Blogger has made it harder to work with the HTML code by trying to automate some things that didn't need automating. But there have been some improvements in the way photos are downloaded and coded that make them easier to work with. Some simple things like line spacing are very hard to get right in the new interface.

      Delete
    2. Do you have the impression that the new interface could be a work in progress or is it the final product?

      Delete
    3. It's definitely a work in need of progress!

      Delete
  2. I am seeing no difference between what you have been putting up.... and what you are now doing.
    The slideshow seems fine to me... like normal! Second time around seemed the same as first circuit, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like seeing Paris through your eyes, it is a place I have never visited.... I am not a "big city" person... hated London, loved Norwich, Lincoln and York.... I need wide open spaces and nature.
    I have driven around Paris on one occasion, along with 3500 other 2CVs and derivatives during the Friday rush hour.... the 50th birthday celebrations of the 2CV, when our little red car broke down at the foot of the Eiffel Tower! We saw the Moulin Rouge, the Arc du Triomphe [from a distance].... we sat in a boarded up Place de la Concorde [some works or another apparently] then on towards the Tower... all at a snail's pace... and she overheated... we were pushed off the road at the right-hand corner [lookin' away from the tower] of the bridge across the Seine.
    The greatest thing was having complete right of way, with the gendarmerie holding back traffic for us.... traffic whose blaring horns created the sound memory [there were also over a thousand assorted French classics that joined in on the convoy in an unofficial capacity, all of us waved through red lights!! I don't think that the Mairie really understood what might happen when they granted permission.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What year was that, Tim? It was obviously a memorable day. I had a Renault 4 the last year I lived in Paris.

      Delete
    2. 1998... 21st to the 24th of May and it was burning hot.....
      Later that year we went to the Belgian birthday event at Rochefort, followed by the 11th ICCCR meeting, which while all Citroëns were represented, obviously centred around the "Tin Snail"

      Delete
  4. Nice and clear, first time around :) I wonder if any of those panels of stained glass were lost? I know that the big rose windows were not lost, but I thought that some panel or two were lost in the blaze.

    We just upgraded to fiber optic this weekend. Apparently, it gives us more band width, and more reliability, and a stronger signal around the house. We weren't having any problems, but the system in our area was changed to fiber optic, so we all changed to that. I don't notice much difference -- what do you have? You say that you're not super speedy, but I seem to remember you mentioning speeds that were far faster than ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that the images in the slideshows look clear and sharp. I wonder how many of the windows survived the Notre-Dame fire, but I don't know.

      We don't have fiber, but we have a connection to fiber at less than a kilometer from our house. I don't know of any plans to run fiber to the 9 houses in our little hamlet.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?