12 September 2020

L'arc de triomphe de l'Étoile...

...plus a weather report. Our high temperatures are supposed to reach 95ºF (35ºC) by Tuesday and be above 30ºC starting today until at least Wednesday. So we are having one more heat wave before astrological summer ends.
 
Watching the news about West Coast fires this morning, I'm thinking about Mary in Oregon who leaves comments here and hoping she is not in danger.


My original idea for a post this morning was a set of photos of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris,
including some details of the haut-relief stonework there.


CHM and I took the metro over to the Place de l'Étoile in September 2007. CHM wanted to see some detailed information carved into the stone there, and I was testing out my then-new camera, a Panasonic Lumix TZ3.


With the coming heat wave, I guess we'll be able to dress (or undress)
the way these people did a couple of centuries ago.


The tomb of an unknown soldier and an eternal flame lie under the arch here,
at the top of the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.



14 comments:

  1. These fires are really terrible, not only for the loss of trees that will take years for regrowth, but for all the destruction associated with them. I hope everybody is safe.

    In height, not in size, the Arch could fit in the nave of the Amiens cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that Amiens was that tall! Everything about the design of the arch is wonderful. Of the sculptures, La Marseillaise, is the most moving, imo. Great photos Ken! I enjoyed seeing the arch up close.

      Delete
    2. The arch is about 50 meters _ 165 feet — tall.

      Delete
  2. The third photo is the best known sculpture of the Arch. It is known as
    La Marseillaise (The Departure of the Volunteers of 1792) by François Rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I remember, this sculpture appears in the last shots of the documentary L'Amour existe, a beautiful short by Maurice Pialat (1960-61?). It is well worth seeing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you JB for the information. It might be on Youtube. I'll check.

      Delete
  3. The carvings are magnificent! Thanks for these close ups. I’ve always intended to go to the top of the arch but still haven’t made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt and I went up to the top of the arch once. Neither of us can remember when. In the '90s for sure.

      Delete
  4. And, another with a cool sunburst, I guess from the motorcycle's light. These are such fantastic photos, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J. I like that blinding motorcycle headlight too. Parfois le hasard fais bien les choses.

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I'm remembering the 2007 ride in your car around the Arc de Triomphe. What a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving around the arch was always a thrill — until in recent years it started to feel scary.

      Delete
  6. Keep the undressing off your site, please, Ken!
    As for my safety: it is the SMOKE that we are fighting in my area. Thanks for your concern. My daughter is east of me and two days ago, she related that she and her partner had packed GO bags and even though they hadn't packed their cars, with a dog and many instruments, they were preparing. My former husband lives in a suburb of Portland and in texts yesterday he thanked me for his 9-11 birthday wishes and also mentioned, "I hope I don't have to keep celebrating my birthday with extraordinary physical calamities in the future. Portland has one of the worst hazardous air quality in the WORLD". This morning I heard that included Seattle and San Francisco. I try to stay indoors but I still have smoke that has seeped into my home. I am not the only one, a classmate related the same is true in her house (newer than my late 70's house). This will hopefully be alleviated next week when we rain is forecast.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you, Mary. Stay safe. What a weird time it is in Oregon.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?