05 April 2019

Brioude : détails

This slideshow made up of some detailed and close-up photos I took in and around the church in Brioude consists of 14 images and runs for about two minutes. Brioude is a town in Auvergne, about halfway between Clermont-Ferrand to the north and Le Puy-en-Velay to the south.



Here in Saint-Aignan, we're hoping we didn't have our spring weather for the year in late February and late March. The weather has turned cold again, and a little rainy. It's getting to be time to get serious about preparing the vegetable garden for our 2019 plantings, and about repotting a lot of house plants. Walt already has seedlings coming up in little pots. It'll be interesting to see how the soil in the garden will look when we take up the tarps we spread over it last fall. Some warmer temperatures will be welcome.

I'm struggling a little with "clock lag" — or maybe it should be called "body-time lag" — since we moved our clocks ahead by an hour last Sunday. The sun comes up later, and with all the cloudy skies we've been having this week, sunrise is effectively even later now than the clock says it is. We had gotten used to seeing daylight before 7:00 a.m. Now at 8:00 some mornings it's still kind of dark outdoors.

7 comments:

  1. What a knock-out church. The best you have shown since I have been following your travels. Absolutely beautiful. Very nice photographs. The builders had such a vision and great local materials. I've got to see this one in person one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not religious, and even if I were I probably wouldn't be Catholic. That's not my family background. Still, I do enjoy these grand and ancient churches. It's France's heritage, and the buildings go back so many centuries.

      Delete

      Delete
  2. Our dog is still sort of on the old time as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'm the one on the old time. I still wake up at about 4:45, despite promising myself that I'd start getting up at 5:45 (which until recently was 4:45). The dog lets me sleep as long as I can, but as soon as I stir she comes over to see if I'm really awake. And out we go.

      Delete
  3. Daylight is certainly our friend. I hope you get your energy back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first week of time change is a little like jet lag...The slideshow works really well with this beautiful church which is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering when you switched to summer time ...
    Love those door handles (?) with faces holding big rings. Can't make out what it says around the outside, though.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?