26 April 2019

All hail broke loose

Yesterday afternoon at about 4 o'clock, I noticed that the sky was getting very dark out toward the west. I heard thunder off in the distance, and it was getting louder. I opened a weather site on my tablette tactile to look at the live radar. A severe thunderstorm appeared to be coming right at us.


I decided to go out early with the dog. Normally I would wait until between 5:00 and 5:30. But I didn't know how long the rain would last, if the storm clouds actually moved over Saint-Aignan. Better to go out early than not at all. Thunder rumbled steadily during the 30 minutes that Tasha and I spent walking around edges of the vineyard. There were a few drops of rain, and the winds got gusty.


Just as we got back to the front gate and were almost inside the house, heavier rain started falling and I thought I noticed some ice in it. Back in the house, we realized that we were experiencing a heavy hail shower. Luckily, it didn't last more than 3 or 4 minutes before turning into rain again. No damage was done in our yard that I've noticed. I hope no damage was done in the vineyard.

6 comments:

  1. Damn you Ken! You've used the perfect title for your post and I didn't think of it when I wrote mine!! I was out in the hail yesterday -- thankfully not in the very worst of it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Susan. Was the hail over that way heavier than it was here? Were vines damaged? Just wondering. Maybe Jim Budd will tell the story on his blog.

      Delete
    2. I haven't heard about any hail damage to vines. Around Boussay the ground was covered and white for at least an hour after the storm. Hailstones the size of large beans.

      Delete
  2. I was going to say isn't unusual for hail this time of year? But then I remembered in Texas we'd get hail in the summer when it was 98 degrees. Glad no damage to your greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?